Humbrol clear

Is it the matt coat that goes milky or the transfer in patches and especially around raised details?

If it's the matt coat then it could be moisture. Applying varnish or similar in a damp or humid environment can cause this.

If it's the transfer then the transfer is not prorperly seated and there is air trapped under it. All looks fine until you apply the matt top coat.

The latter could be easier to fix than the former.

Andy

I've found the latest enamel matt varnishes from Humbrol no good at all for use as Matt Varnish. Humbrol Clear dries to a more gloss finish than Klear Floor Polish (Or whatever it's calling itself today) but takes a lot longer to dry.

For the last few years I've never had Humbrol matt, dry to a clear finish as the matting agent within the mix always seems to remain visible and in suspension giving the finish a milky appearance.

The visibility of the matting agent seems to be dependant on the base coat colour and material. I now only use Humbrol matt as a base for further weathering on wagons supposedly used on lime or cement traffic.

The attached pic was taken about eighteen months ago with the sides and underframe airbrushed with a coat of Humbrol Matt Enamel. It was used in accordance with Humbrol instructions using Humbrol thinners and in a room were the ambient temp was 28 degrees C.

post-508-0-47097600-1442078125.jpg

You can probably see were due to my heavy handedness the varnish has puddled and started to run with surface tension influencing the matting agent into heavier concentrations in these places. For some reason the matting agent disappeared over the waterslide transfer film.

The milky-ness I've experienced is distinctly different to the whiteness(blooming) that can occur when spraying in cold or damp atmospheres and I've put it down the nature of the Humbrol varnish.

If I'm needing a totally matt finish I use Testors Dull Coat with Testors thinner.

Other folks may have had differing experiences.

P

It's the Matt varnish for sure, as I've painted it on parts with no transfers on, I'll look out for a better Matt varnish now then.

Many thanks.

Testors Dullcote. Once you've used it you won't want to use anything else. The transfer film on the On30 locos I have been renumbering was very obvious but after spraying with Dullcote (in a rattle-can) not only was the finish totally matte but all trace of the film has vanished. Magic stuff.

Archived