Gas lamps

JZ

Cannot find a colour picture showing station gas lamps. Black & white photos show a darker base and top with a lighter pillar. Would this be green and cream? Modelling under SR/MR control.

>>>Modelling under SR/MR control......

Strictly speaking, it would be either L&SWR/MR or SR/LMSR control, depending upon whether you want pre- or post- Grouping.

Modelling under SR/MR control = Southern Region/Midland Region.

Now if I'd 'ave known, I would have taken a pic of the gas lamp on the down platform at Midsomer Norton station yesterday, I'm sure someone there could tell you the appropriate colours for the period you require. 

Doh. I can almost see it from my house. Rest day tomorrow, so might pop over.

Edit: Just looked online and there doesn't appear to be any gas lamp standards there.

>>>Modelling under SR/MR control = Southern Region/Midland Region.

Ahh, LMR :-)  That complicates it a bit further if you are modelling any part of the S&D which eventually came under WR control, particularly the 'Bath Extension' from 1950 onwards, as it depends on who did what and when. I would have thought that there were quite a few colour pictures from the BR era.

From a picture which I took at MSN in April, the lamp-post there on the Down platform has been painted maroon. I recall asking why at the time and no-one seemed to know :(

if you are modelling any part of the S&D which eventually came under WR control, particularly the 'Bath Extension' from 1950 onwards, as it depends on who did what and when. I would have thought that there were quite a few colour pictures from the BR era.

In my scenario, the WR never got their hands on the S&D. This allows me to expand a period I never knew into one I did.

Unfortunately all the pictures in colour that I have found show them in chocolate and cream. BR ones in black and white from the pre-WR period seem to show a similar contrast.

Shillingstone has them all green (No.3?) Search out the BR(SR) painting reference sheets, but they don't mention lamps. In WR days the lantern was black, but whether this is soot or paint, I'm not sure.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In Michael Welch's Somerset & Dorset Sunset - in which all the photos are in colour - most of the smaller stations with lamps with very simple straight tubular or rail posts, those appear to be painted black, however some do have a greenish tinge - whether that is a very weathered SR green or a photographic effect, it is hard to say. There are some in WR colours, as this was the 'Sunset' and some of course had concrete posts, especially down south. There is one barley-sugar twist post in all cream. 

Archived