Controllers (DCC compatible for non-DCC)

idris

I'm looking at cheap controllers for a simple non-DCC.

The cheapest I've found (that includes a transformer) is this Bachmann 44212 which says it's "DCC compatible". 

What does "DCC compatible" refer to, and does it make any difference to a non-DDC layout?

Also, as the 44212 is rated at 0.5A, what sort of current do 1970's Hornby XO3 motors typically draw?

I think (well reasonably sure) the 44212 replaced the earlier 46605 DC controller?

The reference to  "DCC compatible", will be the ability to use this DC controller as an additional throttle with the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC system.

The 44212 (and 46605) just plugs into the E-Z Command controller.

This would allow a single non-DCC (i.e. DC) loco to be operated on a DCC layout, powered and controlled by an E-Z Command system.

The 44212 (and 46605) would be used to control the DC loco in this configuration.

This isn't a recommended practise for all sorts of reasons, including the very real risk of burning out the motor of a DC loco.

If you are just buying the 44212 for DC use, that's perfectly fine. These are useful little DC controllers.

Forget all about ever using it with a DCC system and just ignore the reference to "DCC compatible".

If you want a decent DC controller then get hold of a Hamment & Morgan Clipper which although long out of production are virtually indestructible.

They will be fine with 1970's Hornby XO3 motors which draw a lot more current than today's motors.

They can be bought for very little money on E bay.

This is what you look for.

H%20amp%20M%20clipper..jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The H & M variable transformers are even better, Safety Minor etc. as they give variable voltage instead of varying the resistance.  You can light an LED towards the minimum speed setting, which you can't do (for more than a couple of milliseconds) with a clipper.  The Bachmann should be fine though a bit slow with tired X03s or x04s.

Archived