Based near limoges, where to go?

JeffP

I used to do quite a lot of traveeling round France by Eurodomino, and also by car, taking photos, but haven't really done much since around 2002.

Our house down there is near to Limoges, but in a rail desert.....30 miles to the nearest mainline.

I do fancy a day out, either by rail, or car/rail, but where to?

Limoges seems dead now for freight. Angouleme pretty similar. each is about 30 miles.

What about Bordeaux? Toulouse?

Or if I'm going by car, is there anywhere like Miramas in the SE, where I could drive to and park up, then spend some platform time recording the trains on camera?

Thanks for any help.

Heading west, there's a fairly big yard at Hourcade, just outside Bordeaux on the line towards Toulouse; if you look for somewhere to stop around Begles, you should see traffic bound for both Toulouse and Hendaye. If you head towards Bordeaux from there, there's another yard at Bassens, which sees traffic to and from the port.

It's worth getting hold of 'Atlas du réseau ferré en France', available from Platform 5.

Thanks to both.

I already have the atlas, but it doesn't show any vantage points, nor does it give any idea of traffic density, which is vital in this day and age.

I used to spend ages on Miramas station, but 20-30 locos on shed, a museum and loads of freight and passenger services made for an interesting time.

What I don't want is somewhere dead........

Thanks to both.

I already have the atlas, but it doesn't show any vantage points, nor does it give any idea of traffic density, which is vital in this day and age.

I used to spend ages on Miramas station, but 20-30 locos on shed, a museum and loads of freight and passenger services made for an interesting time.

What I don't want is somewhere dead........

I know what you mean about 'dead'. My god-daughter's mother booked us into a restaurant south of Lyon, which had a good view over the freight line on the west bank over the Rhone. Unfortunately, the 'Periode Blanche' on this section of line coincided almost exactly with our meal-time, with the first train passing as our coffee arrived.

One bit of line that might be worth investigating is that around Le Buisson, between Bergerac and Sarlat; not busy in traffic terms, but still retaining, at least a few years back, a wide selection of mechanical signalling.

The atlas I referred to does have some general maps giving an indication of traffic levels, though they are about three years old; you might find some more current ones on RFF's website.

I was wanting to do a sort of triangular journey from Eymoutiers to Limoges then to Brive then (on the loco hauled) train to Ussel which originates in Bordeaux. Then from Ussel its back to Eymoutiers again. Given that the SNCF are looking to get rid of a lot of loco hauled services I am doubtful it will run for much longer (and I was disappointed but not surprised to find it was not running during the summer months). 

Archived