Nearholmer

Inspired by a spark(!) of interest in one or two threads, I thought it might be worth opening a discussion of the topic of substations and track-paralleling huts for d.c. Electrified railways, especially given that SR 3rd rail and LT 4th rail layouts are "sprouting up all over the place" nowadays.

There is a huge commonality between the basic substation and, where they are used, TPH, arrangements on all d.c. Electrified railways, so it is fair to treat all together, but it has to be borne in mind that the buildings/structures from the 1930s onwards are quite distinctive between areas/systems.

I will give a brief resume of the SR and BR(S) substation types as a starter, in the hope that it might provoke interest and model building.

1900-1930 electrifications (everywhere, not just the SR) distributed electricity from generating stations to substations that contained transformers (to step-down the voltage) and "rotary converters", huge motor-generators, to convert from a.c. to d.c.. The equipment was housed in buildings that look rather like the nave of a parish church, and are nicknamed "cathedrals".https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dartford_Junction_-_geograph.org.uk_-_198168.jpg

1930-1940 the SR developed and used a standard design which had outdoor high-voltage switchgear and transformers, and a mercury-arc rectifier, plus d.c. switchgear indoors. Bachman offer a model of a bit of one of these. Nicknamed "raft" substations, they evolved slightly between schemes, so that a Brighton Line one is identifiable from an M&G one, for instance.http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00-0-a-sr-substation.jpg

1950s outdoor transformers, everything else indoors in a "bungalow", the rectifiers were initially mercury-arc, but latterly diode-type.

1960s (which means the Bournemouth electrification) "tin boxes", rather similar to the later 1950s designs, but a semi-prefabricated design in steel.

1980s onwards - "bungalows" on the Hastings Line, thereafter "modular", using modules based on ISO freight container cross-sections, which are assembled, complete with equipment inside, in the factory, and "cabled together" on site.

Naturally, there have been changes to the older sites as kit has been renewed (the electrical kit lasts c40-60 years). The most visible changes have been to the 1930s substations, where a new type of outdoor switchgear was fitted in the 1970-85 (ish) period, and third generation of switchgear is progressively being installed now.

Overall point is that, from a modelling perspective, substations are as distinctive of time and place as signal-boxes, for instance. A "raft" in inner London, or a "cathedral" at the seaside on an SR layout would look out of place.

Hope there is some interest, and that this expands into all the wonderful LMS, LNER, GWR, and LT variants.

Kevin

Well .......

Not only have I found a picture of a TPH, but I found it inside another RMWEb thread covering the same topic!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3884-s-r-sub-stations/

TPHs on ordinary double-track sections are typically about the size of an ISO 20ft container, and are built either of brick with a concrete roof, or, as a "tin box". Making one would be a dead easy, one evening project, in 4mm scale.

Not sure how to get threads to intermingle, maybe we just shut this one down and migrate to the other, although it is strictly SR, which strikes me as an unnecessary restriction, given the commonality across all systems. Edit: actually, the other thread died out in 2013, so best keep this one alive for now.

Looking at the other thread, Southernman46 knows his onions, and his parsnips too I should think, reading his contributions.

Kevin

Lyddrail (Paul Wade) may have got some drawings and photos; when I first met him (at Ashford Works Open Day in the very early 1990s), he was exhibiting a diorama called 'Potter's Corner'. This consisted largely of a selection of buildings associated with the power upgrade on the SE mainline in preparation for Class 92 & Eurostar, based on a real location just north of Ashford on the Maidstone line. The exhibit was on an official stand operated by the Power Supply people; Paul was at Paddock Wood ECR at the time.

Hmmmm ........ So, this some sort of former- Southeronians refugee camp ........

Did FC's father run a very fine grocery shop, I wonder?

And, which former McCarthyite is dressed as a guinea pig?

By comparison, I'm fairly transparent.

BTW, follow the little blue link below for a look at my genuinely third rail layout. I will dig out an EMU and post a photo of that to cheer everyone up.

Kevin

Archived