Scottish Push-Pull Class 47/7s in later years - cab front cables

GordonC

When the original Push-Pull 47/7s (47701-47717) were displaced in Scotland by the Sprinters and were re-used on services elsewhere they all kept the cab-front cables, but was there any stock they could actually make use of them with?

I know the cables looked the same as the later RES Railnet 47/7s and AC electrics used for the TDM system, but was it not a different and incompatible system? The DBSO's were transferred to Anglia and converted to the TDM system for use with the Class 86's on the Norwich line so did that leave the original 47/7s with nothing they could be used in Push-Pull mode with?

In which case, why did they all keep the cables? could they be used for multiple working? if so, was it ever used?

When the original Push-Pull 47/7s (47701-47717) were displaced in Scotland by the Sprinters and were re-used on services elsewhere they all kept the cab-front cables, but was there any stock they could actually make use of them with?

I know the cables looked the same as the later RES Railnet 47/7s and AC electrics used for the TDM system, but was it not a different and incompatible system? The DBSO's were transferred to Anglia and converted to the TDM system for use with the Class 86's on the Norwich line so did that leave the original 47/7s with nothing they could be used in Push-Pull mode with?

In which case, why did they all keep the cables? could they be used for multiple working? if so, was it ever used?

Once they stopped working with the dbso's that was the end of use for the push/pull equipment. There was nothing else in use that was compatible with it. They could not be used in multiple as it was not designed that way. They probably felt no need to remove them as they were doing no harm where they were.

The system was known as RCH cabling
This served three purposes

Remote control of engine throttle and fire extinguisher (specific to Class 47/7)

Driver guard communication (specific to RCH fitted rolling stock)

Multiple working with other Class 47/7

This should not be confused with the later TDM system as fitted to Class 86, Class 87, Class 90, Class 91, and later Class 47/7 (RES)

The biggest benefit was driver guard communication, which could have been used after their use on ScotRail
Equally, this was done so when the locos were transferred to ICTS, and the cables could often be seen joined to the coaches
The Train Manager had this on his checklist, prior to departure

It would also have been possible to remotely control another Class 47/7, but this option was rarely used
Equally, it would have been possible for a Class 47/7 at each end of coaching stock to work in multiple
This was useful where a Class 47/7 had failed at the front, as the rescuing Class 47/7 could then join from the rear and be worked from the leading (failed) Class 47/7
I remember seeing such an arrival at Edinburgh once, as the platform changed so that the failed Class 47/7 could be dumped and the set continue in use

Hi all,

Did NSE use the driver/guard communication when they arrived on the Paddington to Oxford or on the Waterloo to Exeter routes? I always remember the driver hanging out the window and waving back to the guard.

Regards

Vin

Did NSE use the driver/guard communication when they arrived on the Paddington to Oxford or on the Waterloo to Exeter routes

I always remember the driver hanging out the window and waving back to the guard.

I don't remember the driver/guard communication being used, probably as most of the brake coaches did not have the required equipment

Hence why the driver would require to view the guard for RA

Archived