Shepton Mallet Signal Box

Hi

I'm looking to build a model of Shepton Mallet Signal Box and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a drawing or a photo of a front on view with something to scale it by so I can produce my own.

Also looking at the plans of Midsommer Norton the windows of that box are similar to Shepton Mallet except there are more at the front of the latter. Does anybody know if the S&D boxes were standard for the Northern part of the line just being scaled up to suit the locality?

Many Thanks

Andy

Ah...

"Standard" is a dubious term, as even boxes of the same Type had variations, so you need to study pictures carefully for your prototype.

Boxes on the "Bath Extension" varied over the years (as elsewhere on the S&D, tho' to a lesser extent south of Templecombe), but in later years the majority were of the S&DJR Type 2 design (which seems to have been a variation of a Stevens & Co design) with a wooden superstructure on a stone or brick base. Feature such as the number of windows etc would vary according to the length of the box, which in turn varied according to the size of lever-frame required and any extension of the box during its service life (Templecombe No 2 Jcn being the classic example).

I'm not aware of any drawings of Shepton Mallet box, although others on this list may be able to help in that respect.

Thanks for that  RailWest, life's never as simple as it seems, I think we all think that everybody worked like Gods Worst Railway and that we can scale up things from each other, I think I'm going to have to make a drawing based upon some estimation of the sizes and see what it feels like.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I don't know of any drawings. I agree with Chris that there is nothing standard on the line!  The window height can be worked out as it is the same style frames as at Midsomer Norton which drawings exist for and if you could find a good plan of the site you can work out the length of the box.

post-5625-0-96556100-1443690383.jpg

post-5625-0-55584400-1443690395.jpgpost-5625-0-42451900-1443690417.jpgpost-5625-0-17056100-1443690469_thumb.jpgpost-5625-0-61777600-1443690497_thumb.jpgpost-5625-0-07180200-1443690515_thumb.jpgpost-5625-0-07180200-1443690515_thumb.jpgpost-5625-0-57600900-1443690546.jpg

When you've done a plan why not share it on here and see what others think.

I may also have some shots of the rear of the box from a set taken around the site after tracks were lifted. I will have a look and let you know.

Are you building the whole station or just the box.

At least there is more photographic evidence than for Evercreech north. I have only ever seen one square on view to the front of the box, which is in my collection but very dark.

Not sure if it helps, but the SRS Southern Signal Box Register notes that Shepton Mallet box had 26 levers, set at 4 1/8th inch centres. For comparison some of the other type SD2 boxes had the same type of frame, but Midsomer Norton had only 16 levers, as did Midford. The only dimensioned box of this type was Wellow, with 18 levers, and the register gives an approximate size of 14' x 12' 9". It may be possible to extrapolate the SM dimensions from those snippets.

The register also notes that the frame included originally 9 push-pull levers, and was inspected on 3/2/1888, and it closed 6/3/1966.

Sorry I don't know of any drawings. I agree with Chris that there is nothing standard on the line!  The window height can be worked out as it is the same style frames as at Midsomer Norton which drawings exist for and if you could find a good plan of the site you can work out the length of the box.

attachicon.gif144 -SHEPTON MALLET LEVERS 1.jpg

attachicon.gif151 -SHEPTON MALLET LEVERS 2.jpgattachicon.gifaverton hammer nameboard.jpgattachicon.gifscas018.jpgattachicon.gifshep 2.JPGattachicon.gifshep 3.JPGattachicon.gifshep 3.JPGattachicon.gifSHEPTON MALLET SIG BOX.jpg

When you've done a plan why not share it on here and see what others think.

I may also have some shots of the rear of the box from a set taken around the site after tracks were lifted. I will have a look and let you know.

Are you building the whole station or just the box.

At least there is more photographic evidence than for Evercreech north. I have only ever seen one square on view to the front of the box, which is in my collection but very dark.

Thanks Blandford1969 that really helps I started to draw it out yesterday but got the width a little wrong so will have to start again !

I'll keep you all posted.

As for the layout I'm trying to build a layout based upon Shepton Mallet.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps everybody here already knows this, but Shepton Mallet was renamed  "Averton Hammer" for the filming of an instructional film on single line working.

As filmed by Ivo Peters, who as I remember commented on the fun of taking part in getting off a train at Boiland, aka Binegar

Archived