(RESOLVED) 14" timbers

Derekstuart

I wonder if anyone could possibly remind me about where and when you would use 14" timbers, please?

I did read something about this some time back- either in relation to a tandem or diamond/slip.

Were 14" routinely used for all examples of those, or just some- such as very heavily used main lines, or just parts of the turnout etc. Or was it solely where positioning meant that chairs would not comfortably fit on a 12" timber?

If anyone could answer this or point me to said post(s) I would be appreciative.

Many thanks
Derek

EDIT: Answer found. "No hard and fast rules"

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82594-a-toe-in-the-water-test-plank-with-diy-track-any-thoughts/
(URL added as an aide memoire before I loose it again)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek,

Some companies, at some periods, used them for extra strength as the "A" timber under the nose of crossings. They were also commonly used, or even 16" wide, at the centre of bullhead switch-diamonds, where both sets of switch tips are on the same timber. (Flat-bottom switch-diamonds usually have two separate timbers with a narrow gap between them.)

Otherwise they were used where chairing required. For example if chairs are significantly skewed the screw holes would be too close to the edge of a 12" timber, or where a timber needs to carry two or more chairs which are not on the same centre-line. 14" timbers were more expensive, so not used unless necessary.

The only full answer is a prototype drawing. Sometimes you can see a wider timber in photographs.

regards,

Martin.

Archived