DCCo1 additional controller

Bala

My friend has a DCC layout and the loco's are operated by a Gaugemaster DCC01 controller.

How would I go about adding a second controller.

Are there any snags when controlling loco's?  Is the rule only one controller per loco?.   i.e you cannot access the same loco from both hand sets?  Would each hand set have to have a key code? I assume we would have to avoid accessing the same loco or it would be completely confused and burn something out.

What is the cheapest way to go about getting a second hand set - are there any other makes compatible with Gaugemaster DCC01

Many thanks

You can buy additional handsets and a faceplate which allows more than one handset from Gaugemaster.    Other brands are not compatible at the handset level, so you are stuck with Gaugemaster (or MRC, the US company who actually make the device).  

The alternative to a Gaugemaster handset might be a computer interface (I'm not sure if the computer interface works with the cheaper DCC01, or only on the more advanced PA2 system), and then running JMRI and using either a smart-phone (Android, Apple or Microsoft) or the throttles on the computer screen.   If you have a computer and smart phone its the cheapest option.  If you have to buy a cheap smartphone its still often cheaper than a normal handset.   

Loco control is mostly a matter of not both trying to drive the same loco.  You're highly unlikely to damage a loco or the system by both trying to control the loco, just confuse the operators !

- Nigel

My friend has a DCC layout and the loco's are operated by a Gaugemaster DCC01 controller.

How would I go about adding a second controller......

Just to clear up any confusion, when you say " a second controller" do you mean a second "handset" (i.e. "throttle"), or were you thinking about adding another DCC system (e.g. two DCC-01's)?

If the latter, then that is not possible and could end up causing some serious damage.

I suspect you meant a second "handset" for the DCC-01 system?

As Nigel says, you are restricted to using a Prodigy series handset from Gaugemaster or from MRC, who actually make and sell this system in the USA.

Note that MRC don't directly sell in the UK, although their stuff does turn up from time to time.

As the DCC-01 Prodigy Express is meant to be an entry level, or budget system, there currently isn't a specific add-on Express handset available.

However, the add-on Prodigy Advance2 and Prodigy Wireless handsets can be used quite happily with the Prodigy Express, but be aware that these are relatively expensive, compared to the price of the DCC-01 itself.

e.g. The DCC-14 add-on PA2 handset.....

Gaugemaster are asking £129.95 for this (it may well be cheaper elsewhere).

In the USA, MRC list the m.r.p. of this handset at approx. £92.00 + tax (it can be found cheaper at various retailers).

Very important....

Check if your friend's Prodigy Express is the old original version, or the newer Prodigy Express2 (squared).

If it's the original "non-squared" model, then I suspect it may need upgrading to "squared" standard, before you can use any of the current Prodigy Advance2 or Prodigy Wireless handsets with it.

.....Are there any snags when controlling loco's?  Is the rule only one controller per loco?.  

i.e you cannot access the same loco from both hand sets?  

Would each hand set have to have a key code?

I assume we would have to avoid accessing the same loco or it would be completely confused and burn something out.

It depends on which brand or system you're using.

Some systems require transfer of control authority, before another user can take over control of a specific loco.

Others simply warn the original operator when another operator is also controlling the same loco.

Then there are the systems that allow any operator to drive the locos.

You will need to read the Prodigy Express and Prodigy Advance user manuals to see how the MRC/Gaugemaster system operates.

......What is the cheapest way to go about getting a second hand set - are there any other makes compatible with Gaugemaster DCC01

For new...

Shop around online. Some stockists in the UK sell Gaugemaster products at a lower price than Gaugemaster themselves.

If you can source one from North America (it'll be MRC branded), it will be much cheaper, but shipping and handling charges, plus potential import duties + VAT will wipe out any advantage.

Obviously it's ideal if you happen to be visiting the USA and happen to also be near a MRC stockist, but probably unlikely???

Be aware that Gaugemaster may not provide warranty support in the UK for MRC branded items.

Second-hand...

Worth a look, the handset taken from another Prodigy Express, a full Prodigy Advance or Prodigy Advance2 set will do, but remember that anything bought will need to be on the same software/firmware version as your friends system.

Then there is the Smartphone option that Nigel mentions.......

Archived