Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Replacement buffers for Bachmann class 37 in OO

Hi,

I'm trying to put some buffers on a Bachmann 37. It appears the old sources are no longer available , ie A1 and craftsman.

Are there any other or are Bachmann packs of buffers suitable ? The buffers on my other 37s seem pretty basic

Thanks in advance if anyone has gen

Bachmann used to supply a pack of sprung oval buffers (I think the cat no. was 36-031) which I think contained either 6 or 8 and which I believe were a straight replacement for the ovals fitted to the very first batch of 37's (eg Tre Pol & Pen and Loch Rannoch etc).

I'm not sure they will be the same as the ovals fitted to later model 37's and obviously no good to replace round buffers. I have also successfully used these in the past to replace Deltic buffers, by removing the buffer from its shank (be careful not to loose the spring!) and used them to replace some Heljan loco buffers.

As far as I'm aware, like all Bachmann accessory packs, they seem to have supply issues and drift in and out of stock for many months at a time. I needed some recently and was told Bachmann are saying Nov/Dec delivery. (The retailer didn't say which year that was!!).

They are handy to have in the spares box and whilst not a brilliantly scale item they used to be very reasonably priced, though with the recent price rises I suspect they may not now be good value and you may be able to source better quality cast, but unsprung, items cheaper.

I'm not a purist by any means and I once very successfully used cast oval buffers meant for a 'Duchess' on a Lima 37. They captured the chunky look of the 37's buffers very well to my eye.

Good luck!

I'm sure I read in a recent article Hornby Class 50 buffers are a better option for a 37 and may be more wildly available.

At risk of hijacking, I need some roof mounted horns my 37/4 if anyone has any suggestions.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby class 50 oval buffers are an excellent replacement for locos without buffer beam skirts. The modelling section of Rail Express July 2015 has an article on Tinsley volcanos which references the Hornby option. I have used them on several of my 37's to replace the factory fitted round buffers and am very happy with the result. Usually they can be found on Ebay although I could not find any when I searched earlier today.

I am also interested in replacing the circular buffers with something more robust.

regards Rob

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/10/2015 at 11:07, tractor_37260 said:

Try : http://www.markits.com/MARKITS_Price_Guide_2013_09.pdf 

They do some nice crossed drilled brass ones

Another vote for these - good for Hymeks too

9BFEF19F-2456-41C1-89E6-414A2B1CA557.jpeg

D43833F2-5E30-4FFB-907F-0BB1069382BA.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photos added
  • Like 1

I've been replacing some buffers on my second run Bachmann 37's, D6707, D6826 and a blue one, all with original skirts - these need round Oleo's. As part of the process I've lifted them a couple of mm to get to the right height and improve the overall appearance of the front end.

The buffers I've used are brass from A1, however they aren't sprung as I had them in stock and wasn't aware of a sprung alternative. A1 are still in business, and proprietor John Flower does appear at some shows, Doncaster for one.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesC37LG said:

Quick question regarding Bachmann 37s - how does one remove buffers from within their shank as I am trying to swap some factory fitted oval buffers for some nice brass Oleo examples. 

Cheers 

James

Might be wrong here, but don't you need a new shank as well for Oleo's?

The process I used in the previous post was to cut around the base of the shank to free up the assembly and then pull all of it out. Less sensitive in my case as I was cutting off the bottom of the front valance/ skirt in order to mount the replacement buffers higher up.

John.