S&D Models Manning Wardle Kits

hartleymartin

Has anyone here built one of the kits from S&D Models for the Manning Wardle Old I class or K class? I'm interested to hear what people think of them. I'm purchasing some of the 7mm scale detailing castings for various projects. Not sure that I want to spend 150 quid on a kit which I may not like, considering that it takes 2 Australian Dollars to buy a British pound these days!

• RMweb Gold

I can't speak for the Manning Wardle kits themselves but I have bought several items from S&D and all have been superbly cast.

I have been considering one myself for a while so would be also interested to know thoughts out there.

Thanks

Has anyone here built one of the kits from S&D Models for the Manning Wardle Old I class or K class? I'm interested to hear what people think of them. I'm purchasing some of the 7mm scale detailing castings for various projects. Not sure that I want to spend 150 quid on a kit which I may not like, considering that it takes 2 Australian Dollars to buy a British pound these days!

I remember those great days when I started visiting Australia and I could buy more than three of your plastic dollars with the little window for just one pound.

• RMweb Gold

I've not built one but I do have several of the castings which are very nice - destined for a possible conversion of my spare Ixion HC into a passable MW-sequel loco someday...

The only thing that put me off buying the kits was the inability to use Slaters MW wheels as the kits are designed for Walsall Model Industries wheels which are cast and use a 3/16" axle rather than 1/8" like Slaters do...shame really as I think a couple would look lovely on EW!

I remember those great days when I started visiting Australia and I could buy more than three of your plastic dollars with the little window for just one pound.

Except you would have probably been confused by the fact that our $2 coin is smaller than our $1 coin. Our smallest banknote is $5.

I remember getting extremely confused in London when the coin sizes were completely different.

Guest Isambarduk

"... use a 3/16" axle rather than 1/8" like Slaters do...shame really as I think a couple would look lovely on EW!"

Surely, Neil, you could arrange a bush to fit the 1/8" axle and the 3/16" axlebox?   David

Guest Isambarduk

"Would I be able to get away with inserting 1/8" bearings inside the 3/16" ones? "

If the outside of the 1/8" bearing is (nominally) 3/16", I would most certainly have thought so, Neil.  Failing that, speak nicely to me and I'll turn up a set of top hat bearings for you that are 1/8" ID and fit the holes/slots in the frames.   David

"... use a 3/16" axle rather than 1/8" like Slaters do...shame really as I think a couple would look lovely on EW!"

Surely, Neil, you could arrange a bush to fit the 1/8" axle and the 3/16" axlebox?   David

I think (?) that Slaters have dropped the old D-flat 1/8" axles used in some of their smaller 7mm scale driving wheels and modified the moulds to use their standard 3/16" diameter ones. Might be worth checking or asking for confirmation.

Caused me a lot of extra work making longer ones for 36.75mm gauge that nowadays is solved by their supplying them in 3/16". But one big benefit of the 1/8" ones was/is the ability to use 4mm scale suspension components and HighLevel gearboxes in small 7mm locos.

• RMweb Gold

I think (?) that Slaters have dropped the old D-flat 1/8" axles used in some of their smaller 7mm scale driving wheels and modified the moulds to use their standard 3/16" diameter ones. Might be worth checking or asking for confirmation.

Caused me a lot of extra work making longer ones for 36.75mm gauge that nowadays is solved by their supplying them in 3/16". But one big benefit of the 1/8" ones was/is the ability to used 4mm scale suspension components and HighLevel gearboxes in small 7mm locos.

Hi decauville, they are still in the range - I bought a pair of their 2'8" MW wheels the other week for my coffee pot scratchbuild and these were still on the 1/8" axles, however they were the square ended axles as per the standard range rather than D shaped.

Archived