Bachmann 6pin decoder (Soundtraxx)

traction

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The Bachmann decoder which is a re-branded Soundtraxx type doesn't have a MID or TOP speed limit CV, that is there is no CV 5 or 6.

Instead they provide a speed table with default types that you can select.

Which ones would be most suitable to use for something like a 4F or Class 153 or Class 24, basically diesels or steam and from there I can sort of narrow down to a more specific speed curve.

Be it the Logarithmic or Exponential.

The instruction sheet states:-

Speed curves
The decoder offers a selection of alternative speed
curves to tailor the performance of the locomotive.
Logarithmic curves give faster acceleration at low
speeds changing to slower acceleration at high
speeds, exponential curves give slower
acceleration at low speed with faster acceleration
at higher speeds as shown in the Figure 1.
In addition, there is the option of a user defined curve.

I have attached the pdf instruction sheet so you can see the speed curve graph which may help a little.

Thanks

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a great fan of speed curves, particularly for steam engines, where the performance will vary wildly according to load, while most light engines are quite sprightly. The 153 is a different matter, getting off the line quite smartly in my limited experience. Logarithmic sounds better there. I assume you find the default linear acceleration unsatisfactory? I really think the answer to your question involves a bit of suck it and see per model, having regard also to the differences among motors & gearing in each model.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian,

It's more to do with limiting the top speed, as the layout I've built is for children to play with at exhibitions so wanted to limit top speed.

As there isn't a top speed CV on this decoder, I had hoped that just using one of the predefined curves would suit, as it would save me from making a speed curve up from scratch.

To narrow it down was hoping that a consensus would say logarithmic for the non steam and exponential for steam, from there onwards I could try the different curves to find something OK, even if I almost copied one of the curves but lowered the last few values to limit the speed that way.

Cheers

Ian

The other thing you can play with is forward/reverse trim for the speed table, which should adjust the top speed (in forward and reverse respectively) while maintaining the shape of the speed curve.

Strikes me as potentially a very simple method, Just set the trim values really small (10, 20) until you get a top speed you want, and that's it.

It'll be quick and easy to return to normal speed operation too, if the children find the low maximum speed just too low to be interesting.

Archived