Headlamp codes for yard shunters

Headlamp codes are given here http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/3-sigs/bellhead.htm(and elsewhere this just came to the top of the pile), but what if any codes would be applied to yard shunters? I would specify such as shunting engines that didn't go out onto the running lines.

The reason I ask is that I cannot find a photo of a BR(M) Sentinel shunter which has lamps attached to it. The have the lamp irons but they don't appear to be used.

Also I'd be surprised if they were allowed out on the running lines on their own even if they were going back to Derby for attention. Too slow under their own steam and the wheelbase would be too small to trip the track circuits. Perhaps the procedure would be to send out a fitter to disconnect the drive and then send it back to Derby behind another loco.

Any ideas?

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Technically yard pilots should carry shunting pilot engine lamps and ideally, certainly at night, they should - properly - have carried them (as should any Shunters' truck attached to them - it would have the lamps instead of them being on the engine adjacent to the truck).  As far as I can trace there seems to have been some variation in the lamp code pre 1948 but it was standardised in the 1950 Rule Book as red above one buffer and white above the other buffer at both ends of course. 

I seem to recall seeing yard - and some station - pilots with the"G" code - lower central lampiron, single lamp) in the early 60's. I tended at that time to note such things down in my notebook (Ian Allan abc's included the codes). I was Cambridge based, not straying too far at the beginning.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall seeing yard - and some station - pilots with the"G" code - lower central lampiron, single lamp) in the early 60's. I tended at that time to note such things down in my notebook (Ian Allan abc's included the codes). I was Cambridge based, not straying too far at the beginning.

Stewart

I think that was one of the old codes Stewart - the GWR (without checking) I'm sure used something similar.  The LNER Rule Book specifies that 'Engines employed exclusively in shunting at station yards and siding must, after sunset or during fog or falling snow, carry a head and tail lamp both showing a red light or such other light as may be prescribed.'

Archived