Paint Removal

• RMweb Premium

I have a loco built from a white metal kit and stuck together using epoxy. It was hand painted using acrylics and a matt varnish, time has come to give this little loco a facelift and I want to strip all the old paint off and repaint using a spray gun for a more aesthetic finish. Given the info can anyone suggest the best way of removing the acrylic paint? Ideally (although I would not rule it out) I would not want to use things like brake fuid or similar chemicals and favour the least 'nasty' method. I would prefer it if the method did not dissolve the glue but I am not too worried as the kit is easy to build. appreciate any help.

Years ago I tried a model called something like 'Modelstrip' for removing repaints off a Bachmann 03 and some Wrenn wagons I acquired cheaply. The stuff was amazing, taking off the overpaint with ease without damaging the model underneath. I haven't been able to find it since, but I'm sure it must exist. It was a white paste in a tub, IIRC, and you put it on then left the model overnight sealed in a plastic bag (to prevent it drying out) then washed everything off under the tap in the morning.

I read on another forum recently that a very strong solution of biological washing powder works for stripping paint from models.

The theory is that there will be a thin layer of grease contaminating the model's surface. This is more likely in the case of a hand finished model rather than a factory made one. The biological component of the washing powder will eat this grease and the water will then lift the paint from the model.

I've not tried it myself, but it sounds like a much safer way than using solvents. A good, long soak in the washing powder solution was recommended.

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Premium

I should have known that my wife would have the simplest solutionblush.gif to my problem; I was rummaging around in my shed looking for brake fluid and of course the wise one asked me what I was looking for? No sooner had I told her and why I wanted it than she produced a bottle of Tesco brand nail varnish remover which was designed for removing acrylic nail varnish. Soaked the loco body in the solution rubbed with a brush/cotton bud and a toothpick for about 1/2 hour, washed,dried, buffed up using a soft brush on my dremmel and I am ready for spraying all in under 1 hour. So there it is Tesco Nail Varnish Remover, cheap as, and does the job, thats all you need and of course a good wife! I have no connection to Tesco other than an occasional user of the store.

I read on another forum recently that a very strong solution of biological washing powder works for stripping paint from models.

The theory is that there will be a thin layer of grease contaminating the model's surface. This is more likely in the case of a hand finished model rather than a factory made one. The biological component of the washing powder will eat this grease and the water will then lift the paint from the model.

I've not tried it myself, but it sounds like a much safer way than using solvents. A good, long soak in the washing powder solution was recommended.

Cheers,

James

Blimey ! I'm now worrying what the stuff is doing to my underpant ..... or, even more worryingly, what my underpants are doing to me !

Brakefluid will usually have problems with acrylics, I find, and I use alcohol for these (mine comes from Italy, where it's available, without the nasty purple dye, in supermarkets.

Acetone will destroy most paint, but also attacks plastic, so care is needed. No problem with white metal, but the glue will probably dissolve or at least be weakened. Sticking white metal is a problem in the first place!

I believe 'Modelstrip' is basically caustic soda, which must be treated with extreme care. It causes nasty burns (neutralize with vinegar ASAP).

Archived