Review Of Dynamis

Hi All,

I am new to model trains - I had trains when I was about 14 and decided to return to them at 61 when I entered semi retirement.Also I had grandsons so that was my excuse for getting into model trains again!

I asked questions recently about the Dynamis controller on this forum and received loads of helpful replies - I decided to post a review in order to help others, as I really appreciated members taking the time and trouble to give their views to me.

I built my layout about 18 months ago and decided to go with DCC - I purchased a Hornby set which contained the Select control - I have no experience of other controllers so my comparison is only with the Select. My layout is about 10 by 4 and I have a DCC "bus" around the track with various pick ups. I have not yet started on the scenery.

I purchased a Bachmann sound diesel recently and was very pleased with it but I found it difficult to operate the sound functions with the Select - that was my main driver for purchasing the Dynamis.

I purchased the Dynamis from Hattons for £76 unboxed. I live about 2 miles from Hattons so it is not worth me purchasing from other suppliers because I always save on the postage. Well here goes my review - negatives first.

Negatives

I found it difficult to put in the batteries - very flimsy catch. After about a week the batteries needed replacing. Either I left the unit on or the batteries supplied with the unit were not very good!I have not had any problems with this aspect since.

Two connections for the track are supplied. I needed to use the adapter to fit in wires from my DCC bus. I found the plastic adapter quite flimsy and I had real trouble getting an effective connection to the Dynamis control box. Another connector is supplied - A wire with a jack to the Dynamis and normal track connectors. I cut off the track connectors and soldered the wires to my DCC bus and found this to be much better. The jack connector is a much better option.

At first I found it difficult to programme the locos. On the Select you can overide a selection (without knowing the address) but I couldnt really do this with the Dynamis (may be my fault). I needed to know the address before programming to the Dynamis. It will be fine with new Locos as they are all 3. As I became confused over this I had to connect my Select again and programme all my locos to 3 and then start agin with the Dynamis - small teething point really.

Positives

Much easier than the Select to use the sound functions - only one key depression required and it is easy to use the horn and lights etc.

I found it easy to use the joy stick and quickly adapted to it. I find it easier to set very low speed setting.

Very easy to switch between locos using the joy stick. I have managed to keep four locos going on my layout - could not have done that with the Select. Will obviously become more difficult if you have loads of locos addressed but I don't really have that problem at the moment.

Good to be able to move around with the hand set - I have not experienced many conectivity issues but it does happen now and again. I plan to mount the receiver on the wall in due course to improve this.

All in all I am really pleased with this control and it is ideal for my size of layout and great for operating sound locos. I plan to get more sound locos in due course so this control will be ideal. I havent tried programming anything more than addresses so I cannot comment on this aspect. I have retained my Select and this can be wired back very easily - I need this controller to operate analogue Thomas the Tank range for my grandsons, as the Dynamis will not operate analogue trains. I can use the Select to programme acceleration and deceleration if needed, as I don't know if the Dynamis can do this.

I am still in the amatuer league with model trains and DCC but I hope my review will be helpful - Dynamis for the price and for my size of layout(10 by 4)and number of locos is highly recommended.

Kind regards,

Dave

....At first I found it difficult to programme the locos. On the Select you can overide a selection (without knowing the address) but I couldnt really do this with the Dynamis (may be my fault). I needed to know the address before programming to the Dynamis. It will be fine with new Locos as they are all 3. As I became confused over this I had to connect my Select again and programme all my locos to 3 and then start agin with the Dynamis - small teething point really....

.....I can use the Select to programme acceleration and deceleration if needed, as I don't know if the Dynamis can do this......

Dave, you can programme your locos on the Dynamis and re-set addresses just as on the Select. The Dynamis is a little better at doing it though, so it'll be worth persevering.

The thing you can't do with either, is see what you've programmed as neither system can read back CV's. However, the Dynamis can be expanded by the addition of the Pro Box. This will add the ability to read back CV's amongst a list of other extra features.

It's good to see you've mastered the joystick for loco control and switching between locos. I find it a very quick system too, even if it took some getting used to.

At £76 it's tremendous value for money, with the nearest UK available competitor costing over £50 more.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your review. Looking at your other post relating to notching up and down, it looks as if you have only used the basics. This is the great thing about DCC and the Dynamis - it is as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

I am pleased with my Dynamis and have found it easy to use. The programming functions are quite comprehensive enough for my use. I have changed a few of the CV settings (eg acceleration / decceleration / speed steps) to suuit the different locos. This is simple to do. The only draw-back is that you cannot read back the CV values, so these need to be written down - I write the values onto the sheet suppleid with the decoders (Bachmann decoders work fine for me) and have also created a simple database on Excel to list these out.

The manual takes a little bit of understanding sometimes as some of the steps are not as clear a perhaps they could be. I don't know how the manual compares to other manufacturers', so can't comment.

As a mid-budget system, the Dynamis in my opinion is good value.

Folks I think that I can add a few unbiased points here having used the Dynamis at exhibitions for over 2 years. Recently I have changed to the Hornby Elite and I shall explain why later but first I'll make some points so you can make up your own mind.

I like the Dynamis hand set. It is smooth and easy to use unlike the Hornby system which I feel has a clunky cheap feel to it. Regarding the problem with the green terminal connections noted in earlier postings, note that these are not normal terminal blocks. They need to be fully opened before inserting the wire under the metal plates within. I initially had a problem where I was putting the wire into the wrong place because I was not fully undoing the terminal. With regards the batteries, the ones supplied are cheap poor quality and should be changed for Duracell. Better still we went for high powered NiMh rechargables which lasted even longer between charges than the Duracell alkaline batteries did. Much cheaper option and we kept a spare set charging under the layout.

I have used the Dyanamis along with the booster for our G Gauge class 66 which has sound and smoke fitted. The system also controlled the N gauge micro layout. We had problems with the system tripping when the hand set went out of line of site when talking to exhibition visitors which could be a slight nuisance.

On the whole though I liked the feel of the Dynamis, it was easy to operate and programming was easier than the Hornby Elite. However one is unable to read CV's without purchasing the Pro system which I feel is over priced.

The death knell for the Dynamis came at a recent show at Kendal where it would not work at all within the exhibition hall. It works back at home and in the club rooms. I can only assume that the steel work of the hall, PIR in the fire system or building cathodic protection interferes with the infra red system. We had similar problems at Leyland last year but remedied it by moving from beneath a steel girder! We tried shielding the unit but to no avail. We have since spoken to other exhibitors who have changed systems for the same reason.

So to conclude I would state that the Dynamis is a good basic system for home use but for us it is not reliable enough for exhibition use and we have purchased the Hornby Elite which is hard wired. I am slowly getting used to its heavy control pad operation but it has the advantage of being able to read CV's and having a seperate programming track output.

I hope that these points help anyone considering purchasing a basic DCC system. These two systems have good and bad points and offer value for money.

I know that there are cases where one or two people have problems with their Dynamis at home, but the failures to work always seem to happen at exhibitions.

I cannot think why steelwork in a building would stop infrared working, or a PIR (Passive InfraRed, meaning it doesn't give out any Infrared, it only responds to objects giving off InfraRed), or cathodic protection would affect it. InfraRed is electromagnetic radiation very similar to red light. TV and Hi-Fi remotes work off InfraRed and they work in lots of steel framed buildings like suopermarkets, department stores, etc. But they can be dazzled by other sources of InfraRed such as direct sunlight.

People do report problems with some fluorescent tubes. So it could be the lighting in exhibition halls was giving off enough IR to blind the handset or receiver.

Also some halls have radiant heaters which work by giving off infrared. You know about them when you feel heat coming down from above you. Perhaps that was the problem in Kendall and earlier in Leyland.

As we cannot see InfraRed we don't know if there is something nearby giving off InfraRed and blinding the Dynamis. The only way to find out for certain is to take night vision goggles with you which are a camera that can see InfraRed linked to a TV. Anything giving off InfraRed looks bright through the goggles, but it's a bit drastic to go and buy some just to see if that's why the Dynamis wouldn't work.

Do you recommend full camouflaged combat gear and an M14 too....just to complete the seasonal look ? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

But of course, they're just what the "modeller about town" always packs when he's off to an exhibition.

I wouldn't be seen laugh.gif without mine.

• 2 months later...

Hi, thanks for taking the time to produce an interesting review, after watching a few Youtube videos I was going to go with the Hornby Elite but I didn't like the sound of the clunky buttons or even the appearance of the Hornby Elite.

I got the free Bachmann Dynamis DVD and that is what convinced me to get the Bachmann Dynamis system, I got the split set from 'Rails of Sheffield' for just over £74.00 and am really pleased with it, I only have two gripes with it, first, there was no track power clip, not essential I know but I thought it would have been included, second, and this one could be just down to my inexperience, I can't seem to get the engine notch up sound to match the acceleration on my Bachmann class 37 so if anyone could advise me on where I'm going wrong that would be great.

After reading your review I am still pleased I got the Dynamis but I need to play around with it a lot more, I have come back into model railways after a very long absence infact it was during the 70s when I last had a layout so I know I have a lot to learn with DCC, I think I will get Pro Box soon as I want to be able read CVs and operate multiple handsets on my layout eventually, but in the meantime thanks again for a great review which I think will benefit others in the same position I was.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Until last week I was also a very satisfied Dynamis user, and would loudly sing its praises. Not, alas, any more.

The problems started when it began to act randomly, either paging through all the settings very rapidly or running the throttle up and down on its own. I accordingly emailed Bachmann who responded promptly enough that they suspected a joystick fault, and asked how old the unit was.

My response was that it was just under two-and-a-half years old, having been one of the first batch in the country. Here's Bachmann's reply in full:

Dynamis is sold with a warranty for 12 months from the date of purchase.

We can supply you a returned handset for £40.00, alternatively handsets are available now as a retail item, the item number is 36-507 with a rrp of £70

I responded thus:

I would point out that the Sale of Goods Act points out that goods must last 'for a reasonable period of time' and that this is not limited by warranty nor limited to one year; according to the Consumers' Association it can be up to six years in the case of electronic goods.

If you are suggesting that you regard it as 'reasonable' for this produce to break down so quickly, please say so clearly and I shall post your response on every model railway user group of which I am a member. I shall also take you to the County Court, and would appreciate information on who will accept service of my writ.

Bachmann have a good reputation, and I really did expect better of you!

and today received the following, which clearly more-or-less closes things in Bachmann's view:

The Sale of Goods Act applies to your contract with the retailer but as an additional benefit Bachmann Europe plc offered a warranty against manufacturing defect for twelve months from the date of purchase.

We’ve suggested two possible ways forward for you and our offer at the price stated remains.

Obviously prospective purchasers of the Dynamis system should tread with great care here; judge for yourselves whether this is the sort of response you would like to get if a by-no-means cheap item suddenly gives up the ghost.

Mods - please feel free to move this to a more appropriate place if you feel you should. Note that I carefully haven't ranted, despite feeling like it!

Exactly the same problem that I am expereincing. Much as I like the Dynamis, I think I will get rid of it for a NCE or Lenz system that doesn't rely on the joystick.

Regards,

Dan

As well as the now-dead Dynamis I also have a Lenz system, which seems to work with no glitches at all, though it does lack some of the useful features of the Dynamis, such as displaying the loco's name, and it certainly isn't so user-friendly.

Strictly speaking Bachmann are quite right that my claim is now against the retailer, so I'll be in touch with good old Lord and Butler in Penarth next time I'm down there; what really got me pi**ed off with their response was the subtext of we all know they break down and cause problems, so why don't you let us sell you another one.

Good business practice does not involve taking a very happy customer and turning him into a fierce critic in the space of just two emails! :angry:

John, I completely sympathise with your predicament. It's not a pleasant feeling to be let down by something that has up to now provided you with good service or a good user experience, but it's even worst if you receive the "cold shoulder" from a retailer or manufacturer when asking for help.

....Good business practice does not involve taking a very happy customer and turning him into a fierce critic in the space of just two emails! :angry:

Of course a lot depends on the tone of an initial approach to either the retailer or manufacturer.

A friendly plea for help will often soften the response and may lead to a conciliatory attitude from them, as opposed to wading in with both feet, all guns blazing; which is more likely to be met with a stone wall adversarial position and p***ing off the individual dealing with the complaint at their end.

(Note: I'm not suggesting you've done that , by the way; but it's still a point worth making.)

However on the face of it, Bachmann's attitude doesn't come over very well.

......if a by-no-means cheap item suddenly gives up the ghost......

Whilst I'd expect even moderately priced items to last for a decent time and a certain amount of heavy use, one would expect cheaper products to fare less well in this regard.

At approx. £56 retail, I would consider a Dynamis handset to be almost but not quite on the level of cheaper "almost-disposable" consumer items (after all, it's only the price of a reasonably priced meal for two with a bottle of wine) and in no way an expensive item. However, I would expect the quality and durability of its components to be decent enough to stand up to the intended use of the product. In this regard certain aspects of the Dynamis have always given me cause for concern, namely the joystick and battery covers. Bachmann/ESU really need to address those issues.

As well as the now-dead Dynamis I also have a Lenz system...........though it does lack some of the useful features of the Dynamis, such as displaying the loco's name, and it certainly isn't so user-friendly.

Loco naming comes to the Lenz LH100 handset later this year, when the upgrade is released. I've no idea if the screen will be suitably updated too?

John, I completely sympathise with your predicament. It's not a pleasant feeling to be let down by something that has up to now provided you with good service or a good user experience, but it's even worst if you receive the "cold shoulder" from a retailer or manufacturer when asking for help.

Of course a lot depends on the tone of an initial approach to either the retailer or manufacturer.

A friendly plead for help will often soften the response and may lead to a conciliatory attitude from them, as opposed to wading in with both feet, all guns blazing; which is more likely to be met with a stone wall adversarial position and p***ing off the individual dealing with the complaint at their end.

(Note: I'm not suggesting you've done that , by the way; but it's still a point worth making.)

However on the face of it, Bachmann's attitude does come over very well.

Whilst I'd expect even moderately priced items to last for a decent time and a certain amount of heavy use, one would expect cheaper products to fare less well in this regard.

At approx. £56 retail, I would consider a Dynamis handset to be almost but not quite on the level of cheaper "almost-disposable" consumer items (after all, it's only the price of a reasonably priced meal for two with a bottle of wine) and no way expensive. However, I would expect the quality and durability of its components to be of a decent standard to stand up to the intended use of the product. In this regard certain aspects of the Dynamis have always given me cause for concern, namely the joystick and battery covers. Bachmann/ESU really need to address those issues.

Loco naming comes to the Lenz LH100 handset later this year, when the upgrade is released. I've no idea if the screen will be suitably updated too?

Indeed, Ron; I certainly didn't go in 'with all guns blazing' as you put it, but asked for help in a conciliatory way - I even referred to Bachmann's good reputation - and simply got the rather brusque brush-off in return. Well, you're never worse-off for learning something, I suppose!

It's now quite clear that my problems are not isolated ones - as a glance at some of the other threads here will show - and that Bachmann are apparently continuing to advertise and sell items which they know full-well are causing problems for a number of their customers; apparently they think it's easier to just face the complainants down than to address the real problem, which is apparently one of quality control. There seems to me to be a serious matter for Trading Standards here; you expect this sort of behaviour from Del Boy Trotter, not from an international company with a decent name; and ESU, as you suggest, have always had a reputation for high standards, which this does nothing to enhance.

(And I can't imagine that the retailers will be delighted either, as they have to handle the returns from irate customers.)

As to the Dynamis being 'cheap,' when you add in the cost of the Pro unit, it's actually anything but; and if the handset is duff, then the whole thing is useless. Not a good way to go.

I am not entirely sure that this argument is sound. The Dynamis is at the bottom end of the price market. It is not considered to be expensive.

I think the argument about the Pro Box is a red herring. You are not complaining about the Pro Box although your apparent desire to extend the warranty by 2.5 X might carry some weight if you had a Pro Box that had failed.

I think both Dynamis and Select reflect the desire of the big manufacturers to follow trends at almost any cost.

As to the suggestion that quality control is awry and that trading standards are being breached, it might be worth considering that Bachmann are quite within their legal rights to refuse redress and that the sale of goods act re electricals is in respect of 'durables' which are designed to last for six years. This is to prevent manufacturers from producing shoddy goods at less than shoddy prices. At the same time, a washing machine bought by a family with six kids might struggle after two or three years whereas an elderly gent on his own probably wouldn't. Each case on its merits; it is NOT a given that sale of goods actions set parameters for durability but specific case law does.

I note that you have not detailed your usage of the Dynamis unit. Two and a half years of daily use could amount to 700 hours of use. Has it ever been dropped? Do you keep animals? Is the unit kept in the garage or loft? Have you lent it out? These are relevant uses and conditions for such a unit and even if you have used it for less than 700 hours, the onus is on you to prove that you have taken reasonable care of the unit. I doubt that the design parameters for this unit would accept that hundreds of hours of use are expected or that exposure to adverse conditions will not shorten it's life.

Thanks, David.

Just to address the points you quite properly raise, the unit has not been heavily used, dropped (always carefully worn with the lanyard!) lent out, chewed by animals, knocked around by kids, dunked in pails of water, sprayed with WD40, put in the freezer, left on top of a radiator or otherwise abused in any way at all. (Oh boy, from my own days in a computer support unit in the early 90s I know just what people can get up to with stuff, believe you me!)

It may be that Bachmann expect the thing to pop its clogs after light careful normal usage just after the warranty has run out - I seem to remember that Apple faced similar complaints over some of their gizmos in a similar price-range - and since admittedly it doesn't cost the earth then no-one has a real complaint. In fairness to them, though, everything else I've had of theirs has been pretty good and I've had no complaint at all with them, which is why this is such a surprise and a disappointment - I really expected better of them than tough luck mate, why not buy a second-hand one from us and let us get on with our lives.

I do notice that Bachmann have never troubled to answer any of the criticisms of this product on here, whether made by me or the various others who've made negative comments. Seems they don't care what people say as long as they can flog a few more to those who don't yet know....

Thanks, David.

Just to address the points you quite properly raise, the unit has not been heavily used, dropped (always carefully worn with the lanyard!) lent out, chewed by animals, knocked around by kids, dunked in pails of water, sprayed with WD40, put in the freezer, left on top of a radiator or otherwise abused in any way at all. (Oh boy, from my own days in a computer support unit in the early 90s I know just what people can get up to with stuff, believe you me!)

It may be that Bachmann expect the thing to pop its clogs after light careful normal usage just after the warranty has run out - I seem to remember that Apple faced similar complaints over some of their gizmos in a similar price-range - and since admittedly it doesn't cost the earth then no-one has a real complaint. In fairness to them, though, everything else I've had of theirs has been pretty good and I've had no complaint at all with them, which is why this is such a surprise and a disappointment - I really expected better of them than tough luck mate, why not buy a second-hand one from us and let us get on with our lives.

I do notice that Bachmann have never troubled to answer any of the criticisms of this product on here, whether made by me or the various others who've made negative comments. Seems they don't care what people say as long as they can flog a few more to those who don't yet know....

Fair enough as to usage then but I think the point is worth making and, if you have experience of the GBP in warranty conditions, then you must expect Baccy to say no to you after two and a half years.

Remember that only the majority rule. In other words, there must be more than a few with the same fault to justify an approach. It could be said that Baccy are hiding the true statistics but the dealer base will quickly 'shop' them as they are in the front line for this. Indeed it could be said that posting about it on here is irrelevant in that context as it is the dealer body who hold the strings.

You must also recall that Baccy tightened their warranty conditions a lot some years back. Again, warranty claim costs have to be factored in to the price you pay. It is probably true that Baccy and all the others do use their trading name to attract custom to their products and it could be fairly said that the Dynamis was the first trainset controller to give features that even higher cost sets lack, mainly because it is using later technology.

I certainly think that a buying decision about Dynamis should be tempered with the fact that, in DCC command station terms, this unit is very much at the bottom end of the price structure but with such features as it has, is has perhaps been built to a price that is reflected in the quality of the components used.

You will note that all the units that command more than a hundred pounds are rated exponentially higher than the Dynamis and that there is a longish gap between these units and the really top end stuff which is usually over three hundred pounds.

Once again, I have to say it. You get what you pay for.

Fair enough about getting what you pay for, David; but I still feel that an electronic item of this sort should at least last longer than the not-very-special batteries included in the pack! Are you seriously suggesting that it's fine if it doesn't?

To quote an old Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, Caveat Emptor is the motto we stand behind!

Archived