'Limited Clearance' signs

michaelp

I am researching the 'Blyth Cambois' railway depot but can't find a definite answer to my question, does anyone know when the 'Warning Limited Clearance' signs were fitted to the loco shed.

I know these signs date back to the 1950s, there are lots of images of the area in question some showing these signs and others not, I am guessing these signs were fitted in the 80s but a more accurate date would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

• RMweb Premium

If you mean the red and white checkerboard type, there are two subtly different variations.  The current modern version with 'Warning' and 'Limited clearance' on the white parts in rail alphabet started appearing in the early 1970's if not the very late 1960's.  The earlier version which had the Gil Sans (British Railways) typeface and the same wording in block capitals I have seen in photos dating back to the early 1960's.

Hope this helps!

• RMweb Gold

I've said before, not all sheds are limited clearance. If there are walkways on the ground at the side of the track then the clearance isn't limited. If there is an entrance where you would have to turn and shuffle past a loco then it is. I think they came in in the 50s

I'm sure I recall a tale that Polish soldiers saw these red and white checkers and were delighted to see them as welcoming signs.   And

that would rather imply during WW2, or maybe a little after  as they all got demobbed here (Bradford was the Regtl. depot)  because they could'nt go home as the Iron Curtain had come down.   But then maybe its a tall story.

Archived