RMweb

Ripple Lane BR(E) East London 1980s/90s.

Pete 75C

One of my favourite trolley pictures. Taken in 1959 from the window of the barmaid's bedroom in Croydon's "Railway Tavern" apparently! Had I found myself in the barmaid's bedroom, I'm not sure taking pictures out of the window would have been the first thing on my mind...

:secret:

http://www.trolleybus.net/subhtml/Picture57.htm

Edit: Point taken about the possible era error with regard to the road markings, but I am trying to keep my options open! Just nobody let me buy aThumper in Connex livery...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

Edit: Point taken about the possible era error with regard to the road markings, but I am trying to keep my options open! Just nobody let me buy aThumper in Connex livery...

Multi Era is doable :) it is what I plan on doing so I can run anything from 1925-present. I'm also planning to keep some aspects generic enough that the Central division could be represented, which is a bit easier to do with no station!

Talking of Trolleybuses. This is something I've considered as a diorama at some point.

http://www.trolleybus.net/fullsize/russell2/2.jpg

Though I remember it being more like this:

http://www.trolleybus.net/fullsize/king/bexleyheathbusgarage.jpg

Lots of Inspiration here for diorama's, not Trolley Buses though

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kingswayjohn/sets/72157624042576793/

Cheers, Bob

Fascinating. Thoroughly enjoyed watching that even though I was probably about -7 when it was filmed! Nice to see Silvertown in there.

Why did they have 6 wheels? Were they much heavier or longer than a motor bus? I'm usually unsure if nostalgia is a blessing or a curse. Today, it's a blessing, for sure. Thanks for that.

• RMweb Gold

You should go to Carlton Coalville Pete, they have them running there. Only an hour away ,near Lowestoft.

I'm not sure if the six wheeled ones had two traction motors

Some of the music reminds me of radio programs from the 50s and early 60s.

I watched Jonny's video clip again this morning on the laptop and one of the kids said to the other...

"What's that music?"

"I think Dad's watching some old Carry On film" said the other.

:lol:

Serious question, folks.

It was a Walthers kit for the building under construction. Checked again this morning to make sure I had all the steelwork and everything's there. I've had to trim the base to fit the available space and I've scored it with a file as concrete foundations aren't poured in one giant slab. So far so good. The base is getting painted and weathered to look like new concrete.

The ground around the concrete foundation will be uneven sandy soil. The bare steelwork makes for quite an open structure that can be seen through so no issues about blocking the view of trains. I think glimpsing the trains appearing under the road bridge by looking through the steelwork will be quite novel. How it works in practise remains to be seen.

Anyhoo... the question...

Is anyone aware of any construction equipment suitable for a large building site? I'm thinking cherry pickers, excavators, concrete mixers etc etc. I expect they'll have to be 1/87 scale and I have no problem ordering from overseas. I've had a quick "Google" and all that seems to turn up is a fairly low-detail mobile crane by Siku (below), which I think would be too large (and maybe too modern) anyway. The site will be peppered by portacabins, skips and portaloos but there will be room for some mobile construction equipment... I'm just struggling to find anything suitable. Links to anything appropriate most welcome! Thanks.

post-17811-0-83155800-1460817598.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Remember back then there wouldn't be as much as now, certainly not more than a couple of sheds as a form and office and maybe a mess room. Not sure when portakabins started appearing on building sites. I remember playing on them in the mid 70s and they had sheds

Remember back then there wouldn't be as much as now, certainly not more than a couple of sheds as a form and office and maybe a mess room. Not sure when portakabins started appearing on building sites. I remember playing on them in the mid 70s and they had sheds

Trying to find pictures online of building sites circa 1980s/90s is a lot harder than I thought! Here's one, supposedly dated 1980, and features what looks like a trailer mounted portacabin. I gather the portacabin has been around since 1961, but as you say, would they have been that common? No idea. That's another thing... the few items of 1/87 construction equipment I have seen would appear to be far too modern.

post-17811-0-88101600-1460821416.jpg

© Copyright wisbechstandard.co.uk

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

61, never realised that. There were classrooms at school in the 70s that were called prefabs or portakabins but they were very different to what we have now

With regards to vehicles Dapol do the JCB and base toys do a forklift, also there is the trackside ruston crane. Go and see Dave on Tuesday, he always has a good assortment of vehicles. Sheds painted to look like new would do the trick

61, never realised that. There were classrooms at school in the 70s that were called prefabs or portakabins but they were very different to what we have now

With regards to vehicles Dapol do the JCB and base toys do a forklift, also there is the trackside ruston crane. Go and see Dave on Tuesday, he always has a good assortment of vehicles. Sheds painted to look like new would do the trick

Iirc the Dapol jcb represents a 1950/60s model, quite different to the more modern type, which hasn't changed much since the 80s iirc.

Would be fairly straightforward to scratch build such scaffolding from plastruct bits or brass rod bits, which might look better.

• Like 1

I watched Jonny's video clip again this morning on the laptop and one of the kids said to the other...

"What's that music?"

"I think Dad's watching some old Carry On film" said the other.

:lol:

Serious question, folks.

It was a Walthers kit for the building under construction. Checked again this morning to make sure I had all the steelwork and everything's there. I've had to trim the base to fit the available space and I've scored it with a file as concrete foundations aren't poured in one giant slab. So far so good. The base is getting painted and weathered to look like new concrete.

The ground around the concrete foundation will be uneven sandy soil. The bare steelwork makes for quite an open structure that can be seen through so no issues about blocking the view of trains. I think glimpsing the trains appearing under the road bridge by looking through the steelwork will be quite novel. How it works in practise remains to be seen.

Anyhoo... the question...

Is anyone aware of any construction equipment suitable for a large building site? I'm thinking cherry pickers, excavators, concrete mixers etc etc. I expect they'll have to be 1/87 scale and I have no problem ordering from overseas. I've had a quick "Google" and all that seems to turn up is a fairly low-detail mobile crane by Siku (below), which I think would be too large (and maybe too modern) anyway. The site will be peppered by portacabins, skips and portaloos but there will be room for some mobile construction equipment... I'm just struggling to find anything suitable. Links to anything appropriate most welcome! Thanks.

attachicon.gifsiku.jpg

Langley do some - http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OO_Cranes__Heavy_plant___Road_Machinery___RW1_RW21_29.html

Scroll down beyond the big drag-lines.

Some may not be appropriate, and they are not cheap.

Edited to add, that if you are feeling really flush with cash Transport Models do a JCB

http://www.transportmodels.co.uk/jcb3cxcontractorbackhoeloader125scalediecast-9368.php

Sorry, I think that is the wrong scale, but at the other extreme there is - http://www.transportmodels.co.uk/jcboogaugeplastickit-4648.php?products_id=4648

Edited by jonny777

Thanks for all the links, guys. Very useful.

Russ - I have that scaffold set bookmarked. Preiser also do a kit which I think looks terrific but it's out of stock and on back-order the world over. Shame, as it's only around a tenner for a decent amount.

Kelly - I was looking at brass rod this morning thinking "how hard could it be?" but I'd need a stupid amount of rod with no way of properly modelling the connectors. Tying the rod together with fuse wire then soldering is one method but I can't help thinking my eye would be drawn to the joins and I'd be disappointed. I may hang on for a couple of the Presier kits (below).

post-17811-0-95647400-1460824456.jpg

• Like 3