Peco, Marcway or C&L O gauge track ?

I have recently picked up a Lima O gauge trainset set, (4F, 5 wagons, circle of track etc)  and a Lima Class 33, all in very good condition.  What I would like to know is which track, (including points) would be best suited for these older models with the pizza cutter coarse wheels ? I do intend changing the plastic wheels sets on the wagons eventually, but not so on the locomotives. So, should I opt for Marcway, C&L or Peco ??

Advice and opinions please.

Cheers, Gary.

Hi,

I have do say its a question of taste. Marcway look like flat bottom track as they use copper clad as the sleepers and will need to be packed out to get the same rail height as Peco . Peco are good for being short and can be put down with little fuss. C&L are technically more accurate but will require you to build them yourself, the are longer than a standard Peco point and they are slightly more expensive.

Also depending on what and where you are going to build your layout will effect what you need to use.

Hope this is of help.

Marc

The 4F will run on all the types you have stated so any can be used, I prefer Peco track and build my own points using Peco rail and .125 thick copperclad obtained from a circuit board manufacfurer for a donation to their charity, I gave a £5 and got two offcuts both about two sq ft I am on the last strip that I had cut on a guillotine, I got about 80/90ft from the two offcuts and that has done about 15 points and several bases for buffer stops.

regards

mike g

• 1 month later...

The thing with Peco in any gauge is that they've sold shedloads of it globally and it works, whatever its cosmetic shortcomings.

Having said this the Gauge O Guild magazine a year or two back did have an article expressing misgivings about the then recently introduced Peco curved points (in O), and I don't know if these issues have been resolved.

John.

Archived