Ex S&D 7F 53809

Combe Martin

It's original tender was 4302 which the records suggest it still had in 1961, but I'm trying to establish whether it had the tender from 53810 after that was withdrawn.  53809 was withdrawn in 1964. 

53810's tender had an unusual feature which I havn't seen on any other Fowler tender, and definitely not on 53809's in the early 60s, but by the time 53809 was withdrawn (and in preservation) it has it.

What I'm referring to is an additional tool box or locker mounted on top of the standard tool box and to the left of the central 'coal doors'  when looking at the tender's front face.  Photos show 53810 with this and coal doors in the 60s, whilst 53809 has a 'coal hole' tender and no extra box.  But by the time 53809 was in Barry and now, the photos show it has it too, making me think there was a tender swop. What I don't know at the moment is what was 53810's final tender number.  It was 4303 at the end of 1960 but I don't know if this was the one with the extra box.

What I have learnt is that the S&D 7Fs didn't have lots of tender swops and tended to keep their own throughout their life, especially the 2nd series.

Apologies if this all seems a bit confusing.     

Archived