The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

YouTube - takes forever to upload videos

250BOB

I haven't done much video of the model railway this past 12 months, one of the reasons was that when I come to upload a small 5 or 10 minute clip that I' ve compiled on windows movie maker, the time to upload can be in excess of 1000 minutes.

It never used to be like this 12 - 18 months ago, a similar video might take 10 to 20 mins to upload back then.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix.?

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

Have a look at the size of your compiled movie.

Uploads are always a lot slower than downloads so a big file will take a long time to upload, especially if you are on a slow connection.

Try running one of the broadband speed checkers.

• RMweb Gold

If your file size is massive, then you can use software to export a more compressed version*

There's a free program called MPEG streamclip that's pretty good, plenty of tutorials on how to use it online, too.

*compressed doesn't necessarily mean much worse quality, you can use a compressor that uses more temporal compression rather than spatial compression

Uploading always takes a long time - it can be several hours for one of my videos. Most domestic broadband connections have pretty low upload speeds compared to download. I think ours is only around 1Mbit compared to the 40Mbit download speed we have.

Thanks Jenny........last night I uploaded one of 6 mins duration, it took about 2 hours.

Does this seem a sort of acceptable speed. Its just that a couple of years ago, I seem to remember it only took say 30 mins.??

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jenny........last night I uploaded one of 6 mins duration, it took about 2 hours.

Does this seem a sort of acceptable speed. Its just that a couple of years ago, I seem to remember it only took say 30 mins.??

Bob.

Depends on the file size Bob - what size is the file you are trying to upload ? - it may be that the movie you are now creating is a lot higher definition or something else which makes the video rendered a huge file, hence the lengthy uploads. Check all the settings in the software are what you expect.

Depends on the file size Bob - what size is the file you are trying to upload ? - it may be that the movie you are now creating is a lot higher definition or something else which makes the video rendered a huge file, hence the lengthy uploads. Check all the settings in the software are what you expect.

Thanks Dave,

The file is an mp4, and it is 1.05 GB in size....and it is video taken with an iPhone.

I checked some of the older video I uploaded a few years back using a digital camera, these are between 100 and 500 mb, and uploaded much faster.

On checking on my youtube channel...I notice that the older digital camera videos don't have the HD wording by them.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave,

The file is an mp4, and it is 1.05 GB in size....and it is video taken with an iPhone.

I checked some of the older video I uploaded a few years back using a digital camera, these are between 100 and 500 mb, and uploaded much faster.

On checking on my youtube channel...I notice that the older digital camera videos don't have the HD wording by them.

Bob.

1GB is 10x the size of 100mb - it may be as simple as that Bob.

I have the same issue which is why I don't post much on YouTube anymore, uploading one or two videos can take all night.

try this

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

Make sure the only think you click is the Start test button - the site has a lot of adverts, sponsored links etc. but the speed test is good.

1GB is 10x the size of 100mb - it may be as simple as that Bob.

I have the same issue which is why I don't post much on YouTube anymore, uploading one or two videos can take all night.

try this

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

Make sure the only think you click is the Start test button - the site has a lot of adverts, sponsored links etc. but the speed test is good.

Thanks for your help and advice Dave, as always.

Bob

Archived