Small Terminii With Parcels Depots

PatB

• RMweb Premium

Talking of Bradford, an even more parcel centric terminus was Bradford Forster Square. IIRC with only local passenger trains using the terminus from around the late 1960s, parcels work took up four of the six platforms until this ceased around 1981. Although I've not yet seen it myself, I believe it is touched upon in an article on modelling parcels traffic in the latest issue of Traction (No.230).

Ed

As seen here

10422344504_4afa44017f_z.jpgBradford Forster Square, 1975 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

• RMweb Premium

Milford Haven evidently saw dedicated parcels trains, as seen in this picture

10421349623_3195effcc7_z.jpgSEP 73 08. 6884 waits at the platform with its passenger train while another Class 37 departs from Milford Haven with a parcels, July 31 1973 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

I'm not sure whether it had a parcels depot as such. Perhaps the goods shed (seen to the right in this picture) served that purpose

10421198966_e3591e37dd_z.jpgSEP 73 06. 6884 on arrival at Milford Haven with the 0110 from Bristol, July 31 1973 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

I think Milford Haven was news and mail (including Parcel Post), there probably wouldn't have been much in the way of parcels traffic.

The various MoD (mainly Royal Navy) establishments might well have generated quite a bit- the RN Repair Depot at Llangennech used to send quite a lot of stuff by Rail Express Parcels, so it's probable that other places did as well.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a theme that interests me. I am an 0 gauger and my layout Cwm Bach is based on a South Wales theme in the 1950s/60s steam era. However, I have some BR Blue stock for the early 1970s (Pre-TOPS to TOPS) in 7mm scale and have been considering a parcels based theme for a quickie layout. Victoria Park in 0 gauge by Ian Futers is a nice interpration of the small urban passenger and parcels terminus theme in BR Blue days with a visible section just 8' long. Here is a video clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIjWpSKJov8

Penzeance Station is also worth considering as it had a self-contained parcels depot.

My Cwm Bach layout is here should you be interested: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80426-cwm-bach-a-south-wales-branch-line/page-48&do=findComment&comment=2121656

Archived