Sunday at the Tanfield

You have to love the Tanfield.  Even on a fairly awful day of rain and wind, it was one of those smoke in your hair and smile on your face days that I wouldn't have wanted to miss.  Very much enjoyed by the Offspring and two great galumphing Labradors, too.

It has a selection of as attractive little tank engines as you could hope to meet, and they pull what is your perfect, fantasy, light railway train.  In our case, there were two Victorian "no frills" thirds; full height partitions, bare bench seats and no loos, but drop lights on leather straps.  Then you have two continental/Wisbech & Upwell style open verandah thirds.   You can stand on the verandah of the lead coach and look over the cab back sheet straight into the loco's cab.   As an experience, it beats the ubiquitous Mark I coaches hands down.

Andrews House is a charming little station and the volunteers are very friendly and helpful, and generally, very young, which is an encouraging sign.

If you haven't yet gone, go!

• RMweb Gold

What is the building in the right background of the first and third pictures?

It looks very modelogenic.

It is Marley Hill station building. I don't think the passenger trains use the platform there any more (certainly haven't when I've visited).

Andy

Marley Hill station building was the station used when the line ran from Marley Hill to Sunniside, in the earlier days of preservation.

Nowadays Andrews House is the station used as trains run between Sunniside and East Tanfield.   Andrews House is a few minutes walk from the sheds at Marley Hill and the car park is equidistant from both.

David

Archived