Airfix GMR - the affordable R-T-R Model?

SirStanierFan6229

I have recently acquired an Airfix GMR model of Royal Scot (No. 46100, in BR Green), for the sum of £37.50 from my local model shop. Although it was produced in 1979, it has reasonable pulling ability, speed, and low volume when run.

Yes, it's tender drive, but the detail is about as decent as any other model produced at the time, which now makes up the Hornby Railroad range, and is half the price! After oiling, I'm yet to find fault with it (other than the model omits the running number on the front, but you can't have everything, hey?) and I'm sure if you knew what you were doing, a little tinkering and added weight would turn it into a near super detail quality locomotive.

So, is this just what we, and particularly those starting out, or those less concerned with 100% realism, are after? What do you think? Do you own an Airfix R-T-R model, and what are your thoughts? And considering prices range from about £20 to £50, would anyone consider buying one? I personally recommend them as an affordable way to obtain larger locomotives.

These were the start of the better models we now enjoy, probably showing its age a bit but still much better than most products of its time. I had one and it was a very good runner. Coarseness of the tender drive wheels let it down, but as I said quality model which set the standards when first relesed

And if you eventually get the urge to go finescale, the body and tender still scrub up nicely with detailing parts and an etched chassis underneath. I have such a project in the EM works queue and I have to say I'm quite looking forward to getting on with it in due course! :-) Much the same goes for the 4F from the same source. There's a small discrepancy with the boiler - firebox length, but it's by no means a killer!

Still good entry level models though the mechanisms can be a bit hit and miss.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

StiII run about 6/7 Airfix wagons with EM wheeIs and Ratio chassis. They are good even today

I still have several of their generic 5-planks loaded and weathered, and the LMS/BR pattern box van looks far better proportioned in the body than the Mainline/Bachmann version even if the chassis is horrible and needs replacing. The 57' Non Corridor lav vehicles were the source of parts for my cut 'n' shut LMS suburban set and Period 2 Pull-Push Trailer Conversion is currently underway. 

Looking back at the last catalogue they issued in 1980, http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/ARSys.htm it is surprising how many of the models being made by Airfix or in preparation at the time of their demise are still in production or have only recently been overtaken by newly tooled versions.

If your ears will stand it, the N2 and Brush type 2 models will run forever. Relatively little work to flush glaze, refine some edges, and add or alter detail and they scrub up very nicely thanks to their general conformance to prototype.

The N2 is still present unchanged in Hornby's range, save for now having their nice quiet 'black can' motor powering it.

As for the Brush type 2 (TOPS 30 and 31) it actually better represents the prototype's appearance than the current Hornby model. Because I had the bodies graunching their way around on pairs of the power bogies, the Hornby mazak rot on their Brush model came as a gift. The ends of the Hornby chassis 'dropping off' made it easy to stuff the old bodies with the Hornby mechanism obtained very cheaply s/h. So I have Brush type 2s that look right, with the fine running of the more accurate Hornby mechanism.

I still have several of their generic 5-planks loaded and weathered, and the LMS/BR pattern box van looks far better proportioned in the body than the Mainline/Bachmann version ...

Those two vehicles are invaluable, for all their faults, as they represent extremely common vehicle types vital for any Grouping onwards steam period layout. The Lowmac and Stanier brake van are rather useful too. All easily worked on for rapid improvement to match the best current RTR models.

Archived