Do figures belong in here?

I'm in need of just a few 4mm/ft people to help me work out building spacings and whatnot before I go much further with my layout, but what to get when I'm on a tight budget?  I'd love a few ModelU ones, but I can't begin to justify £3 per upainted figure.  At the other extreme, the Dapol ones are cheap'n'cheerful but I'm not at all keen on figures posed in the middle of doing something.  However, I can't find anybody who makes pre-Beeching station staff or passengers who are just standing around looking vaguely human, and at a reasonable price.  Is there such a thing?

Spikey, there are plenty of 'just standing around figures' in the Dapol set, plus, the plastic is very easy to bend to repose them, or to chop and modify. I know I keep trotting this link out but Dapols, for their price are a good introduction to figure painting.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=744659

Alternatively, here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/21802-earl-of-devon-phase-iia-interiors-the-snug/ from post 7 to show how easily you can make the Dapol figures do what you want them to do.

Best wishes,

Doug

Edited by Chubber

Gosh Doug, thank you very much for those links.  I seem to be rubbish at using the search function!

Dapol figures now ordered, but one question if I may - what else works for removing mould release or whatever apart from sugar soap?  We haven't got any, I can't get into town and it's a bit dear to get online.  Any idea if a scrub with IPA would do it?

(I'll be using Vallejo acrylics, btw)

Gosh Doug, thank you very much for those links. I seem to be rubbish at using the search function!

Dapol figures now ordered, but one question if I may - what else works for removing mould release or whatever apart from sugar soap? We haven't got any, I can't get into town and it's a bit dear to get online. Any idea if a scrub with IPA would do it?

(I'll be using Vallejo acrylics, btw)

Scrub'em with a toothbrush and blue window cleaner, works very well. Another tip, don't use tissues/loo paper to wipe your brushes etc, it's full of minute fluffybits (a technical expression...), use an old cotton hanky or piece of old worn out pillowcase or similar.

Don't know if IPA would work, might just dilute it and leave traces. (I presume you are not going to use India Pale Ale!?)

Vallejo acrylics are great, since starting to use an airbrush last year they are my preferred paint. I had some disasters with Humbrol.

Doug

Edited by Chubber

Cheers Doug.  I do believe that's me sorted.

(IMO yer IPA's not much use for drinking, never mind degreasing mouldings.  I'm more of a porter bloke.  For drinking, that is.  Not for leaning on a barrow on a platform ...) 

Edited by spikey
  • Like 1