Signals for Hessle Haven (and Scarborough)

It's a long time since I contributed to this topic, but as I'm about to resume some model signal building then here goes. Some time ago I scratch built some of the signal installations which my Hessle Haven layout would need. These are all either ex-NER brackets or McKenzie and Holland lattice gantries and bridges. As there were/are no etches for what I needed, then I opted to scratch build the lattices for these using .8 mm and 1.0 mm 'L' angle with .8 mm nickel silver strip. All of the lattices were built using scratch built jigs which are built individually to suit each type of lattice girder.

Anyway a few photos of some completed models and one of a bridge still work in progress. All of these are based on real prototypes and I normally make a scale drawing of each installation prior to starting the build.

The first photo, the ex-NER balanced bracket, was my first attempt at 4 mm signal building; the completed bridge is the fourth model; the gantry the fifth and the longer signal bridge will be the sixth that I have made.

So here goes again on that Scarborough Londesborough Road bridge. This model, even in 4 mm, is some 15" long - the prototype spanned almost 100 feet - and was built using two jigs for the lattice girders.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-87857600-1447415421_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-08410100-1447415456_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-95310800-1447415481_thumb.jpg

post-3150-0-69307300-1447415522_thumb.jpg

And this was the third signal model I made. Again this is based on a real prototype which stood at Hessle Haven for fifty or so years. Alas, apart from one McKenzie and Holland bridge which still stands at Harrogate and the preserved Scarborough Falsgrave bridge, now on the NYMR, they have all gone.

I still have to fit the route indicators to this, one on each of the divergng dolls. It took quite a time to find a photo showing which type of route indicator were fitted to this, in 1950, and exactly where they were positioned. Anyway such a photo did turn up and the route indicators are made and ready to fit.

You might discern that I have a certain liking for these structures, once such a feature of the NER, the LNER and BR (NE). We took no notice of them as young train spotters; they would always be there! Of course, now they are gone and the railway scene is the poorer for their going!

Amazing to think that once, around 1910, McKenzie and Holland, Engineers in Worcester, were the largest suppliers of signalling equipment in the world!

Cheers

MIke

post-3150-0-87886500-1447419113_thumb.jpg

And so, after far too long, this gantry has its route indicators. The photo clearly showed that the inboard route indicator, controlling the exit from the slow line, was mounted on the doll off centre. And before anyone asks, no, the route indicators don't work; they are just dummies.

And the sky, quite blue in the last picture, has turned a more threatening shade of grey. Though both photos were taken against exactly the same background and that is cream!!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-60465900-1447429108_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Stunning work! In the last model, how are the signal arms operated? They look to be wire and pulley? Or are they pulley shaped 'cranks'

For some reason I revisited this thread only to find a query which I hadn't previously seen nor had answered.

So, very belatedly, the arms are operated by pulley wheels which have cranks embedded in them, trying to convey the impression of wires and pulleys. These wheels/cranks were made from etches, though the tiny cranks were made from scratch.

Cheers

Mike

Archived