Class 92s - London area

eastworld

Where is the best place in the London area to see class 92s in action - would it be better to go somewhere north of Wembley such as South Kenton or south such as Olympia? I know they are thin on the ground but which is more likely to yield a siting?

Stu

• RMweb Premium

As a rule, DBS 92's are restricted to working between Wembley & Dollands Moor, though there will be exceptions where traffic/availability demands it. There is a daily move to/from Crewe IEMD for maintenance, again, as required.

Hope this helps

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

About the best place is on the footbridge parallel to the high level lines at Willesden Junction.  You'd see a lot more there besides but anything going to or from Wembley Yards behind a 92 will go that way.  There are trains which sneak off the North London Line behind the low-level station and which can catch you of-guard but not worked by 92s.  

Two issues with the location at Willesden Junction are that the scrapyard generates a lot of noise and sometimes dust, and if you're into photography there's a lot of overhead line equipment in the way of a clear shot there and your only view is south so towards the sun at all times of day.

This may not be of help, but back in 1999, I was standing on Bromley South station waiting for my train, so did a little bit of video footage (I had nearly half an hour for my train). At that time, Eurostars were still going through that way to Waterloo, but two 92s in multiple went past me light engine heading outbound. 

I have no idea whether such a thing occurs nowadays, but the advantage of that location was there were no overhead wires in the way!

Archived