Bachmann 45XX detailing

I know a couple of threads have appeared in the past, but I want specific parts detail. Replacing the smoke box dart what brass options, and the Alan Gibson safety valve cover part number? Having been in American HO for many years the arrival of a decent autocoach and soon to be released 14XX have stirred my imagination !  

I have just had a look of the original SV cover on my 4575 and it is very good, although a little large apparently. I am not sure that a Gibson one will be an improvement. I would try spring side as the polished brass part may slot over the Bachmann top feed. It is a bit of a waste to paint over that polished brass, but the delicacy of the individual safety valves has to be seen to be believed. Another alternative would be David Geen, who supplies all the castings for his own 44/45/4575 kits separately.

Comet, Mainly trains or Gibson could all supply a dart. David Geen can supply an ATC shoe and battery box as could Chris Parrish. If you want to see something exquisite, try the modelu3d whistle and shield 3D prints.

The vinyl tank fillers are robust, but don,t look good in green ( may be better in black). David Geen will also supply these, I suspect there may be something in the 247 developments range as well.

Let us know what plans you have for your 45xx and I can suggest more.

Cheers

Oakhill

A previous thread on here on upgrading the 45xx mentioned the Alan Gibson part which is why I asked, I'm waiting for the Irwell Press Prairie Vol3 for the small Priarie before doing to much. My loco is coming from Olivias Trains and will be in BR lined green with Loksound. If the valve cover looks ok (after weathering) I may leave well alone . I'm returning to OO after years of American HO so  have quite a lot of learning to do! 

• 3 weeks later...

.... I would try spring side as the polished brass part may slot over the Bachmann top feed. ....

You'll be lucky getting anything out of Springside. Although they still list safety valves at £10+ each, they've been unavailable for years. One would-be stockist tells me that he's always being told "they're on back order", but nothing ever materialises.

You may have better luck asking Brassmasters for the same parts out of the resurrected Finney kits.

Archived