Starting Over

There has been a lot of thinking this weekend about how I can get some kind of layout up and running. Some of you may have seen my thoughts on a possible 6 x 1 layout in the planning section, however a board this size is just too big and unwieldy to move around the house

Thoughts turned to n gauge because to be honest I really wanted a roundy layout and I'd convinced myself this was the way forward. However, SWMBO was dead against me spending more money replacing my very modest OO stuff so the only solution currently is the world of micro layouts.

I figured a modest SLT would be a good start and I have a piece of pink space board 1m x 300mm to use as the baseboard. I will eventually clad the sides and add a back scene. A good practice board for making some scale scenes kits and generally getting the feel of how to create a model railway.

Anyway enough rambling, the plan and my initial thoughts are shown below, inspired by Blackpool South station, let's see if we can get this one up and running

post-27537-0-15742000-1447629446_thumb.jpeg

Welcome aboard the micro express

As an exercise in detail etc, A SLT is a great starting point once the line is in that's it scenic's begin

Have a look at this link for some SLT inspiration

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90048-looe-slt/?p=1579978

Plenty of detail able to be put in and with it not being to big you can get it finished with out loosing interest or spending to much money.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, definitely, something small and simple is a good start.
I've read of lots of people, and spoken to many more, who don't hold small and micro layouts in high regard
...yet they've never actually completed a layout of any kind themselves...

A small project can teach you an awful lot - more so than reading many books and magazines, or talking to other layout builders
Of course, feedback, advice and information from other builders, while you are undertaking your own project is always useful or even essential

I had stopped modelling for many years, due to life's other commitments, but when Mrs S first saw a completed layout,
she was impressed, and suddenly more understanding of what it was I was attempting to do, and what I was spending my time on
So this first project might help "make way" for future endeavours ;)

You could always think ahead, and build this with a view to extending it, of course
Also, one small suggestion, why not use a point on the right hand end of this design, so you have 2 roads and therefore 2 different trains entering the scene?
It could even be a very short radius point, if it is hidden, or partially hidden..... just a thought

Cheers now, and good luck with it

EDIT: In some senses, not having too much stuff in the modelling draw is a good thing - you're not tempted to overdo it,
by having to add this, or having to make use of that etc - it can focus your approach

Archived