Leadenhall Market - 70's widened lines and East london line

simon b

Hello Simon,

Interested in seeing the 116, is it a conversion, and if so are you sure it's Bachmann - cos they're short framed (57') vehicles, whereas the 116 were built on long (63' 6") frames?

Edited by leopardml2341

Not had time to do much with the layout itself, but I have been collecting more rolling stock. The current list is:

- Hornby 31, with 3 Bachmann mk1 suburban opens, and 1 suburban brake end, all rail blue.

- Another Hornby 31, with 2 suburban brake ends, and 3 suburban opens, again all rail blue.

Are your Hornby 31s Railroad or full-fat super duper detail ones? Keen to model a Mk1 suburban set but slightly put off by the Class 31 exploding chassis issue. I'm thinking of adding a little detail to a Railroad 31.

Are your Hornby 31s Railroad or full-fat super duper detail ones? Keen to model a Mk1 suburban set but slightly put off by the Class 31 exploding chassis issue. I'm thinking of adding a little detail to a Railroad 31.

Pete,

There was an article in (I think) an old rail express mag about doing just that except I think it was the Lima model, no matter that - same bodyshell.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to clarify my fading memory...... :)

Edited by leopardml2341

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry guy's I've been so tied up with life and the other layout I had forgotten about this one!

The 116 isn't a Bachmann model but a modified lima 117, that's what come's of typing away at midnight. I'll get a few pics for you, but using a few cut and shut bodyshells I've removed the toilet from the center car, shortened the guards compartment on the dmbs, and removed it completely on the other to make a dms. The gangway connections have also been filled. I still need to find time to fit the flush glaze kit's into them, I did that to a nse liveried one a while back as well as painting the inside of the window edges black. That improved them alot. Though I do think they sit a little high on their bogies. 

The Hornby class 31's are the super detailed jobs, the main reason for buying these was for the smooth running of them. But I'm told the ex-lima railroad 31 has a new motor setup which performs quite well. I always thought the lima body was a good molding, but I could never get the old pancake motor's to run smoothly at low speed's. I think one of the railroad 31's detailed up will make a good model so I might try that in the future. The Hornby super detailed pair haven't had any problem's with chassis cracking yet, and are as smooth a you like through point work, very impressive to watch with the suburbans in tow.

Simon.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A small update on this layout...

After quite a search I now have an LT pannier to work the occasional engineers train into the station, this and the brake van are from Bachmann, possibly from the "Midnight Metropolitan" train set. I'm now looking to either repaint a few Heljan dogfish wagons to run with this, or build up a few of the cambrian kits. A representation of a hurst nelson brake van is on the wish list to complete the rake. 

20170409_181729_zps16c3uzbu.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For the siding at the rear of the layout (market siding), I now have a Walthers kit to create a basement level loading dock underneath the building. The kit itself only builds a small building so I'm going to use the side walls to extend the front, then build new side walls out of embossed brick sheet. This should look quite good with the Transfesea van's shunted underneath.

My thanks go to Graham for sending me this kit, as well as another that will make an appearance in the future.  

20170409_181740_zpsc5jnlpxw.jpg

The original kit should build into this:  09330000003164_big.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little early for the time I'm modeling but I couldn't resist adding a baby deltic to the fleet.

20170519_195500_zpsmtdwt8ps.jpg

I have a class 15 in green with small yellow ends somewhere at home, so I could operate the layout in a late 60's guise should it take my fancy.

Edited by simon b
  • Like 4

• simon b changed the title to Leadenhall Market - 70's widened lines and East london line
  • RMweb Gold

So an update.  I, like most people at the moment, have a lot more free time than usual, so decided to do some work on this project.

I've finally settled on a name and location for this layout, "Leadenhall Market". The story being that the widened lines didn't terminate at Moorgate, but made a turn south down to Leadenhall market, and then on to a junction with the East London line at Wapping. This gives me an excuse to run freight and a few EMU's up from the southern region, via the ELL connection at New cross. 

The old layout was laid with peco code 100 track, but with the introduction of the new bullhead track I felt a rebuild was in order. The new layout has a dedicated space along one wall of our spare room, this being 9ft 7inches total length. In order to save time (and because I already had it) I've re-used an old layout board cut in halve so it is only 1ft wide. This will mean running smaller trains but a more manageable layout to operate.

It took a few days of playing about to come up with a workable track plan, but I'm happy with the result. I have the end of a station area where trains enter the layout, and then on to "Market sidings" so I can include some shunting action which the old layout didn't have.

I've already cut and pinned down the track, here's a couple of pics of things so far...

20200330_181918x.jpg

20200330_181808x.jpg

Edited by simon b
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Started to get the platforms made up and fitted over the Easter weekend, these are made of Wills paving sheets and Peco concrete sides over a plywood base. They will only be long enough to hold a 2 car epb on the scenic section, though will continue under the scenic break a short way where they are in line of sight. They cant go any further than that as I need clearance for a medium radius crossover just out of sight under the station building.

20200413_193041.jpg.3aecb9e307f35e1bc7790e35197b4346.jpg20200413_193053.jpg.0c43d4cd7506240f53e6c4855b603f58.jpg

Also modified some old door hinges to align the two baseboards, simple but effective.

20200411_220735.jpg.b95d0f21a9cb3cd63bc0d5cb53f17838.jpg

• Like 7

It's looking like your off to a flyer. I think the walthers building looks great. I've a few ho scale kits myself I think will work well in a british setting.

Just out of curiosity, how did the peco code 75 bullhead track marry up with the standard flat bottom code 75? 

Edited by Unit basher
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Unit basher said:

It's looking like your off to a flyer. I think the walthers building looks great. I've a few ho scale kits myself I think will work well in a british setting.

Thanks. Walthers parts are going to be used quite alot on this layout, I'm building a few low relief kits to sit on top of the wall behind the station this week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Unit basher said:

Just out of curiosity, how did the peco code 75 bullhead track marry up with the standard flat bottom code 75? 

I used normal flat bottom fish plates to join it up, the rail heights are the same.

• Thanks 1

Don't know how I missed this thread. The Widended Lines are something that has fascinated me for ages. So much so that I built a layout - Margery Street (the one that is mentioned earlier in the thread). The layout is sadly no more, but when I was researching it, I did exactly as recommended earlier and looked at the type of brick colour, style of architecture, etc. I amassed quite a bit of info and photos during this. My layout name came from a street just round the corner from Mount Pleasant Post Office which then gave me an excuse for parcels traffic. I also pulled together buildings and ideas from the Widened Lines such as the typical cable bridge found on the LU, cable supports, etc.

Depending on the period you settle on, make sure that the loco numbers (especially the 31's) match up with loco's that worked the line - the 31's had trip cocks specifically for the signalling. If you need any of the info that I pulled together, feel free to ask - might not know the answer tho'

Jeff

• Like 1