Britannia Lord Kitchener website exclusive.

Ian Hargrave

Definitely shows up as a discount - I've just rechecked. What I have noted that is if you're not logged in, the discount won't get applied if you check out without logging in. The discount doesn't appear for club items or for items in the 'last chance to buy' sales

David

• RMweb Gold

Definitely shows up as a discount - I've just rechecked. What I have noted that is if you're not logged in, the discount won't get applied if you check out without logging in. The discount doesn't appear for club items or for items in the 'last chance to buy' sales

David

And indeed you are correct. It now shows with discount ....which it did not when I and others purchased a month ago.

Chicanery knows no bounds it seems. I will not be renewing my Collectors a Club subs.next month .Thank you for pointing that out.

• RMweb Gold

I'd suggest a call and a rant to customer services coupled to a list of what you've spent / expect to spend over the next twelve months and i bet you'll get your discount retrospectively!

That is what in good faith should happen.But let us see what actually does occur. Be assured that I will not let the matter rest.

How do you reconcile a company acting in a manner which displays the trading standards on display with such catchphrases as 'Collectors Club exclusive " and "Website Concessions" and which subsequently throws these items with gay abandon onto the open market?

I remain yours in cynical wonderment .Ian aka shafted Burton on a Trent.

• RMweb Gold

But what did you pay ? With discount ?

£116.99 + free p&p

Putting my very rusty technical support hat on.

What browser and operating system are you using?

Have you been logging into Hornby's website to make your purchases or using the guest Checkout facility (via paypal)?

If you sign in when you get to the site, you will get a welcome message popup window that will advise you that the Club 10% discount is applied automatically (once logged in)

• RMweb Gold

£116.99 + free p&p

Putting my very rusty technical support hat on.

What browser and operating system are you using?

Have you been logging into Hornby's website to make your purchases or using the guest Checkout facility (via paypal)?

If you sign in when you get to the site, you will get a welcome message popup window that will advise you that the Club 10% discount is applied automatically (once logged in)

Right...thanks.I paid £129.99 .Firefox browser.I think I have grounds for a refund.Be onto that asap. Cheers.Rant over,brain active.

• RMweb Gold

That is what in good faith should happen.But let us see what actually does occur. Be assured that I will not let the matter rest.

How do you reconcile a company acting in a manner which displays the trading standards on display with such catchphrases as 'Collectors Club exclusive " and "Website Concessions" and which subsequently throws these items with gay abandon onto the open market?

I remain yours in cynical wonderment .Ian aka shafted Burton on a Trent.

I don't know about Collectors Club exclusives' but I believe Hornby might well make available 'Concession only' items to certain retailers.  However I would then be very surprised if they were to supply a retailer advertising to sell them at a loss and in some respects i would have been surprised if they had agreed to supply them to Hattons in the first place.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about Collectors Club exclusives' but I believe Hornby might well make available 'Concession only' items to certain retailers.  However I would then be very surprised if they were to supply a retailer advertising to sell them at a loss and in some respects i would have been surprised if they had agreed to supply them to Hattons in the first place.

It would make life much less complicated for all concerned if they simply supplied the retail trade / went direct sell without recourse to the over-hyped flummery of the big 'C's.

Right...thanks.I paid £129.99 .Firefox browser.I think I have grounds for a refund.Be onto that asap. Cheers.Rant over,brain active.

A good sense of injustice there, keeps us young.   I bought some Hornby Kings thinking they would be rare and sought-after and now Hattons have them by the truckload at low prices. 

Having just turned 65 yrs I am now officially old, and this accords with my notions of crabid bad-tempered cynicism, which I am now allowed to feel  officially.

Actually I have done 41 of those years T5 paralysis in wheelchair mostly with only my left hand working, which adds a new dimension to unpacking an RTR Britannia without breaking anything, or anything to do with 'real' modelling,  placing a model on my own hand-made track with all the wheels on the track allowing an even better feeling!   :)

post-7929-0-12129500-1451680525_thumb.jpg

edit; I have 70043 Lord Kitchener waiting to be unpacked, but the above will do.  

Well, it has finally happened.

I now have, after a series of Hornby purchases with tight plastic sleeves on the  inner plastic housing, been utterly defeated by 'Lord Kitchener'. There is no apparent damage to the plastic construction, but it has moved about 1 inch from its sleeve and now simply will not budge.

Should I take to the outer sleeve with a sharp knife and destroy it?  Soak it in hot water? Stare at it for hours? Put it in the fridge?  Or continue to grasp and push or pull, without result, and too much pressure at the smokebox end will surely destroy the smokebox darts....

Someone got any tricks for this operation?

Answer to above.

Go away, return with a fresh, positive, optimistic demeanour,  fail again, get mildly angry, use excessive force and get a slight movement back into sleeve, backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards,   repeat as required,  wipe sweat from brow,     then, with no current scientific explanation available the sleeve falls off almost by gravity alone....  

Better make a nice quiet cup of tea before I set the camera up.

• RMweb Gold

Answer to above.

Go away, return with a fresh, positive, optimistic demeanour,  fail again, get mildly angry, use excessive force and get a slight movement back into sleeve, backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards,   repeat as required,  wipe sweat from brow,     then, with no current scientific explanation available the sleeve falls off almost by gravity alone....  

Better make a nice quiet cup of tea before I set the camera up.

Strong in the force, this one is...  :jester:  :jester:

hard to believe this will soon be a Britannia racing through verdant countryside!     Sorry hands still shaking, plus didn't change ISO thus 1/15th sec hand-held... but sharpened to hell, who would know eh?  

Nice model too.  That whistle looks a bit vulnerable.

post-7929-0-65955200-1451770532_thumb.jpg

edit,  picture changed to better one, sorry.

and as if by magic, proper BR green....    ?

Apologies Ian I have added shadow around printed nameplates, the camera does not lie.  ;)

post-7929-0-96314100-1451774994_thumb.jpg 

post-7929-0-29092000-1451775024_thumb.jpg

cheers (will use a lower camera angle for any further pics, or more accurately, raise the track)

Interesting that Chester Model Centre charge P&P if you order from their website, but not from their ebay store.

Stephen

Stephen, thank you for pointing out this error. The web automatically adds Postage but rest assured we haven't charged any customers for postage when they have via the web site. Kind regards Paul

• 2 months later...

Not Lord Kitchener but sister? Earl Haig  just purchased to complete the duet of post-Sanda Kan Britannias....

this one second-hand from Hattons with a gloss finish exactly one hundred notes.

Interesting what the gloss does to Hornby's Brunswick green.   I have meddled with detail and colour balance a tad... nothing major.  I have a new gloss King 6029 arriving soon too.  All good fun.  I think I may be a bit lazy with greens and blues, but pass the colour-blind tests ok.

Astonishingly good model frtom Hornby! The gloss reminds me of Bassett-Lowke models of years-gone-by.

post-7929-0-22696000-1459055452_thumb.jpg

edit; actually toboldlygo this might look good with a bit of subtle weathering, I think some Brits were actually kept clean.

• RMweb Gold

Not Lord Kitchener but sister? Earl Haig  just purchased to complete the duet of post-Sanda Kan Britannias....

this one second-hand from Hattons with a gloss finish exactly one hundred notes.

Interesting what the gloss does to Hornby's Brunswick green.   I have meddled with detail and colour balance a tad... nothing major.  I have a new gloss King 6029 arriving soon too.  All good fun.  I think I may be a bit lazy with greens and blues, but pass the colour-blind tests ok.

Astonishingly good model frtom Hornby! The gloss reminds me of Bassett-Lowke models of years-gone-by.

attachicon.gif70044_R3295_Britannia_Earl_Haig_5ab_r1200.jpg

edit; actually toboldlygo this might look good with a bit of subtle weathering, I think some Brits were actually kept clean.

Not in later days,they weren't....especially ehen the LMR got their hands on them.Some of Canton's allocation went to the Midland mainline in 1958. Dick Hardy at Stratford knew how to turn them out though but that of course was GE territory.70043/44 were LM locos all their working lives.

• RMweb Gold

Not in later days,they weren't....especially ehen the LMR got their hands on them.Some of Canton's allocation went to the Midland mainline in 1958. Dick Hardy at Stratford knew how to turn them out though but that of course was GE territory.70043/44 were LM locos all their working lives.

Exactly so - Canton's were kept in good external condition until their final years at the depot but decended into a state of near permanent filth once they were transferred off the WR.  Equally the GE 'Brits' were always well turned out, just as one would expect for the 'premier' engines over there.  But they too suffered the indignity of decline into filth-hood once they were moved away.  In fact I cannot recall ever seeing a properly cleaned (or in most cases cleaned at all) 'Brit' in their LMR days.

attachicon.gif70044_R3295_Britannia_Earl_Haig_5ab_r1200.jpg

Earl Haig was probably the first Brit I saw in the early '60s. It was a Holbeck loco and was always absolutely filthy and I remember being surprised when my friend told me it was a green loco under the filth.

Most of the Brits I saw in the north at that time were very dirty and it was not until I visited Immingham a year or two later, probably 1962, that I saw some ex-GE area locos that were in very clean condition.

In later years as the Brits migrated towards Carlisle they steadily became even grimier and lost their nameplates, many having their names chalked or crudely painted onto the smoke deflectors.

Archived