Class 15 kit

pwr

I found a 7mm kit for the class 15 diesel on a well known auction site over the weekend. Described as a multi media kit and costing £255. Manufactured by TB Developments. Anyone know anything about it? The seller also had a 10800 kit from the same stable.

Paul R

I think these are the re-incarnated Steve Beattie kits which provide a basis for producing a model, but probably need a bit of work. I think I would regard them as 'challenging', the etches aren't too bad but I think the castings leave a bit to be desired. Steve has re-branded as S TB Developments - his website is :-

http://www.sbtdevelopments.com/#!loco-kits/chid

If you look at the logo I think that's where the TB Developments comes from, as the 'S' is a scribble through the logo

Jim Snowdon has a build thread for the 10800, which was the original Steve Beattie Diesel kit, and which gives a fair idea of the challenges to be undertaken in the build.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79019-10800-in-7mm/

Peter

I found a 7mm kit for the class 15 diesel on a well known auction site over the weekend. Described as a multi media kit and costing £255. Manufactured by TB Developments. Anyone know anything about it? The seller also had a 10800 kit from the same stable.

Paul R

A good price for a kit of that size and as a modern re-engineered kit very good value for money.

I think these are the re-incarnated Steve Beattie kits which provide a basis for producing a model, but probably need a bit of work. I think I would regard them as 'challenging', the etches aren't too bad but I think the castings leave a bit to be desired. Steve has re-branded as S TB Developments - his website is :-

http://www.sbtdevelopments.com/#!loco-kits/chid

If you look at the logo I think that's where the TB Developments comes from, as the 'S' is a scribble through the logo

Jim Snowdon has a build thread for the 10800, which was the original Steve Beattie Diesel kit, and which gives a fair idea of the challenges to be undertaken in the build.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79019-10800-in-7mm/

Peter

Saying the castings leave a bit to be desired has got to be the understatement of the year ....unfortunately un usable blobs would be more accurate ;) ;)

A good price for a kit of that size and as a modern re-engineered kit very good value for money.

The £132 paid for the one with the missing piece of scrap fret :yes: and I wish I had been paying more attention to it.

But £225 is a little OT IMO.

There are still quite a few bits to add (not cheap) but then I would expect a completed example to sell for around the £1000 mark (maybe a little more) worth the investment of high blood pressure - well it depends on how much/desperate you are to build one and have it running.

Me? I'll probably wait until the next one comes up (probably half built) at £132 meanwhile I'm not short of other kits to build.

It would be nice to see this one in a topic build on RMWeb. You never know it might just change my view of them.

That is actually very nice!

I think the first image in the preceeding post is a 7mm one  but the second image is probably a 4mm one as the mouldings look different from etched lines.

I have a 7mm SB CL15 which has been a nightmare to build (and keep from falling to bits when running), additionally - like an idiot, i also

have a 10800 which actually looks OK once built, but again was a swine to make.

So much that I got a friend to make a Baby Deltic from one of these family of kits and he actually did a superb job on it.

It is difficult to believe that it is from the same stable,, so it just goes to prove that if you want one of these loco types be

prepared for either paying for one to be built or you are in it for the long haul.

It is hard to criticise a manufacturer for taking the plunge and producing a kit, but these are (as someone else said) 'an aid to scratchbuilding...' at best.

Lets hope someone else does produce these early diesel types.

Would be difficult to find a kit that was worse I am sorry to say.

I for one would like a 'Lion' and a CL28 (Co-bo) but I am NOT getting one of those kits.!

I did manage to pick up a CL16 recently for a silly price (or was it silly me!) but at least I know what I am getting myself into with prior painful experience.

But the loco's that are complete do run and cause comment when I run them on my 7mm exhibition layout. See attached pics.

Please stop and chat if you see them...

Happy to show you where it all went wrong!

Best others learn the how and why....

post-1813-0-82074300-1448639007_thumb.jpg

I think the first image in the preceeding post is a 7mm one  but the second image is probably a 4mm one as the mouldings look different from etched lines

Both are 7mm  I have not dabbled in 4mm for some years. A class 16 Below. Baby Deltic almost complete, I think I may use Heljan class 20 bogies and motors on this one. Class 21 and 29 still in boxes untouched

post-5754-0-15464600-1448673579.jpg

Will be at Earith MRC at the end of January

Hi I thought these are the new Steve Beattie kits they look OK to me for the price I think there a good buy compared to £475 for a jltrt kits which I can't afford to buy so I think the extra bit of work is worth it the pics above look very good to me and are well made and painted a credit to there builders.

Hi I thought these are the new Steve Beattie kits they look OK to me for the price I think there a good buy compared to £475 for a jltrt kits which I can't afford to buy so I think the extra bit of work is worth it the pics above look very good to me and are well made and painted a credit to there builders.

All the kits I have are his previous incarnations they just take time, effort and patience. Steer clear of the non etched brass bodies they were atrocious and needed the skills of a really good body repair shop technician to fill and get right. Hopefully the 25's on ebay have moved away from this

Archived