Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Modelling headcode disc lights

Does any RTR supplier do this? It's probably more feasible in 0 gauge, but aside from kit-built models where you are free to build as required, I've not seen an RTR model with working headcode disc lights.

Are they on all the time, regardless of time of day, or do they come on when the marker lights are switched on, or are they independently switched?

Thanks in advance.

Does any RTR supplier do this? It's probably more feasible in 0 gauge, but aside from kit-built models where you are free to build as required, I've not seen an RTR model with working headcode disc lights.

Are they on all the time, regardless of time of day, or do they come on when the marker lights are switched on, or are they independently switched?

Thanks in advance.

Bachmann Class 24 and some 40's have working headcode disc lamps as supplied. They can also be fitted to Bachmann Disc Class 20's using a

lighting kit or custom made from components.

The lamps would normally be on day and night together with open or closed discs in a set pattern to designate the train type

Locos with headcode discs don't have separate marker lamps

Thanks, and just so we're talking about the same things, I've prepared a picture which not only shows the lights I'm interested in, but on the exact prototype too:

post-11337-0-52461300-1448912984_thumb.jpg

I've labelled 'A' to what I believe are marker lights, which could be white or red, although the more I look into this the more I'm convinced they are only red... Confirmation would be great.

The 'B' labels are the disc lights, obviously.

Under normal running conditions which of these sets of lights would be on on the front and rear of the loco? I understand that the built-in red lights would not have been used, and a lamp used instead.

Thanks again.

In the early days (green period, which is my period of interest), none would be used except at night. The 'A' lights are indeed red, used as tail light (1 only) after a given date (which has been discussed here  many times), otherwise oil lamps were used. Later on both 'A' lights would have been used.

The discs were used for daytime running, and illuminated (dimly, I believe 40w bulbs?) at night. The discs/lamps in use were used to display a code to the signal, describing the type of train being hauled. I don't have the list to hand but they are freely available on the web, in old IA trainspotting books, and even on a paper included with Springside lamps.

Stewart

The headcode given by the discs is only required on the front where the signalmen could see it, the rear discs would normally be left at whatever was the last position but the lights should be off.

The lights are pretty dim anyway and there is little point having individually switchable lights unless the discs are also changeable. I fitted a lighting kit to one of my Bachmanns but never bother to use it.

Regards

Thanks, and just so we're talking about the same things, I've prepared a picture which not only shows the lights I'm interested in, but on the exact prototype too:

attachicon.gifsample.jpg

I've labelled 'A' to what I believe are marker lights, which could be white or red, although the more I look into this the more I'm convinced they are only red... Confirmation would be great.

The 'B' labels are the disc lights, obviously.

Under normal running conditions which of these sets of lights would be on on the front and rear of the loco? I understand that the built-in red lights would not have been used, and a lamp used instead.

Thanks again.

Wha is the class 15 parked next to?

Edited by GRUNFOS

• 2 years later...

Can anyone please4 give me the diameter of the diesel locomotive discs and also the diameter of the hole the lamp shines through?

I cannot seem to find details of these anywhere, even though they must have been "standard" for at least English Electric locos.