latest Bachman 47

sulzer27jd

Having now 5 manufacturers have a go at the class 47 I was hoping that the latest Bachmann offering would be the answer.

Having the choice of over 500 prototypes and all of the varieties - who in their right mind at Bachmann chose 47535.

BR blue modellers get pretty short changed at the best of time but when the one loco offered for your time period is unique you get to add 1 loco to your stock. I was hoping that the large logo blue would be of use as the basis for a number of engines for me but no.

When are manufacturers going to realise that the only thing limiting the sales of their locos and stock is their own stupidity [Admin - choice of model]. If Bachmann had made this almost any other number then it would have sold in multiples. If Hornby can be bothered to make some blue/grey mark 3 coaches there might actually be a market for the power units.

To make matters worse, Heljan seem to be cutting back on their 47's, tone of the alternatives. They should be releasing more with promotion that says - "For those who don't want 475351"

rant over

John

Guest Max Stafford

Jings, John. Is it really that different from the rest?

OK, two flush fronts, but I'm sure there's an etched overlay for the sealed headcode box.

Not the end of the world, that being the case. :)

Dave.

...who in their right mind at Bachmann chose 47535.

BR blue modellers get pretty short changed at the best of time but when the one loco offered for your time period is unique you get to add 1 loco to your stock. I was hoping that the large logo blue would be of use as the basis for a number of engines for me but no...

rant over

John

Not quite unique as 47614 was also flush at both ends and in large logo but I appreciate that 2 out of 500 approx is not a great ratio. :)

Having now 5 manufacturers have a go at the class 47 I was hoping that the latest Bachmann offering would be the answer.

Having the choice of over 500 prototypes and all of the varieties - who in their right mind at Bachmann chose 47535.

BR blue modellers get pretty short changed at the best of time but when the one loco offered for your time period is unique you get to add 1 loco to your stock. I was hoping that the large logo blue would be of use as the basis for a number of engines for me but no.

When are manufacturers going to realise that the only thing limiting the sales of their locos and stock is their own stupidity. If Bachmann had made this almost any other number then it would have sold in multiples. If Hornby can be bothered to make some blue/grey mark 3 coaches there might actually be a market for the power units.

To make matters worse, Heljan seem to be cutting back on their 47's, tone of the alternatives. They should be releasing more with promotion that says - "For those who don't want 475351"

rant over

John

I would imagine 47535 was chosen due it's Leicestershire connection with Bachmann's HQ.

I have already turned one into 47458 so I am very happy with the choice of loco but I would think there will be more large logo 47's to come in the future.

Not quite unique as 47614 was also flush at both ends and in large logo but I appreciate that 2 out of 500 approx is not a great ratio. :)

Thanks Flood - you have just made my day! And my £68 now seems a bit more worthwhile. 614 wasn't on any of the list I saw, or maybe I just missed it.

I certainly wasn't going to cut wholes into it to put headcode boxes back as suggested above. My earlier point being that if Bachmann had made this "almost" any other number I could have had a huge choice of yellow or black headcode locos to choose from.

I will still only purchase 1 of these locos instead of the half dozen I would probably have. I already run 3 LL 47's, all Heljan but this livery was very common round these parts.

Right - out with the T-cut

cheers

John

Im happy with 47535 being chosen, but accept it wont be useful to many modellers to change the number and identity. Hornby did the same with their Fragonset class 31, chosing the only one with an off set marker light, when they always run in pairs. I think the Bachmann 47 is the best on the market, and am happy with 535, being that I attended the University its named at. Its proudly sat on my layout here in the North East....

• RMweb Gold

I get the point of the OP but at the end of the day we are modellers and there is no reason why we can't hone the skills needed to get what we want from our models...

... the OP might or might not enjoy the irony that I have modified a Heljan Duff to represent 47 299! (just to have something different :blink: :blink: )

post-1239-126738280867_thumb.jpg

I have already turned one into 47458 so I am very happy with the choice of loco but I would think there will be more large logo 47's to come in the future.

99% sure 47458 had different tanks to 47535 & 47614. Anyone know any others that 47535 can be changed too?

99% sure 47458 had different tanks to 47535 & 47614. Anyone know any others that 47535 can be changed too?

Quite correct, 47458 still had the full water tanks.

This is the full list of options:

47085 1 (1/80) 2 (3/80), no. 2 end reverted to standard in 6/83

47102 1 (8/85) bottom section cutaway, 2 (5/83)

47141 1 (5/83) 2 (10/81) later renumbered 47614

47163 both (7/79) later renumbered 47610

47190 1 (9/79) 2 (7/82)

47299 both (10/84) bottom section cutaway each end

47458 1 (2/85) bottom section cutaway, 2 (2/83)

47522 both (9/83)

47535 both (1/84)

47522 would make an interesting repaint, it only had the battery boxes left. Most of the 0s probably still had full water tanks but photos would have to be checked. There is also the issue of the boiler exhaust port as well.

Only 458, 535 and 614 carried large logo.

If Hornby can be bothered to make some blue/grey mark 3 coaches there might actually be a market for the power units.

rant over

John

Although this is on the Bachmann and not Hornby thread I can only say here here!

This echoes some of the recent comments I have made on the latter, particularly those relating to the missing 2009 items, R4393 Mk3 Blue Grey TRUB and Mk3b DVT.

• RMweb Premium

This echoes some of the recent comments I have made on the latter, particularly those relating to the missing 2009 items, R4393 Mk3 Blue Grey TRUB and Mk3b DVT.

Eh? R4393 is in stock at Hattons at least and the DVTs are arriving now.

Eh? R4393 is in stock at Hattons at least and the DVTs are arriving now.

Thank you

Most of my comments pre date these arriving at Hattons.

(Although the gentleman serving at the Modelzone Holborn 'didn't know what I was talking about' when I visited on Saturday so I will now have to order both the above items on-line from Hattons instead.)

Again the following should be on the Hornby thread, but suffice to say (in relation to sulzer27jd's original comments) the R4393 TRFB is now avaliable but the accompanying TS and TF have long since sold out and are not featured in the 2010 Hornby catalogue. So no point in anyone buying the blue/grey HST power cars now.

• RMweb Premium

Again the following should be on the Hornby thread, but suffice to say (in relation to sulzer27jd's original comments) the R4393 TRFB is now avaliable but the accompanying TS and TF have long since sold out and are not featured in the 2010 Hornby catalogue. So no point in anyone buying the blue/grey HST power cars now.

Since we're in the Bachmann not Hornby thread...

Whilst I agree that it can be frustrating that some items sell out before others in the same livery become available, to be fair to the manufacturers, we have known that since batch production moved to China. If you really want it, you buy when you see it or risk missing out. Both manufacturers produce additional runs of popular coaches when the originals sell out and in Hornby's case at least (take the Maunsell coaches example) we are up to versions E, F or G without all of them appearing in the catalogue. But allocating early production slots for further popular versions of the same coaches surely impacts on the timing of other models, if they can or want to do it. Depending on timing, a catalogue may need to be finalised before the sales of a particular model are known and a new production run could be scheduled without it appearing in the catalogue. Who knows, this may be the case with the MK3s if Hornby reckons they will sell - and help sales of the Blue/Grey HST PCs.

47458 with cut cab and boiler tanks, chassis swapped with 474 to help change that to 462.

post-6038-126745512213_thumb.jpg

Thanks Flood - you have just made my day! And my £68 now seems a bit more worthwhile. 614 wasn't on any of the list I saw, or maybe I just missed it.

I certainly wasn't going to cut wholes into it to put headcode boxes back as suggested above. My earlier point being that if Bachmann had made this "almost" any other number I could have had a huge choice of yellow or black headcode locos to choose from.

I will still only purchase 1 of these locos instead of the half dozen I would probably have. I already run 3 LL 47's, all Heljan but this livery was very common round these parts.

Right - out with the T-cut

cheers

John

Firstly I'd tend to agree with the OP that 47 535 with both cab ends flushed was a strange choice for the "first" presumably of many over the "years" L/L Blue 47's. I would imagine there may well be some L/E's of this livery in the pipeline !

If changing 535 to 47 614 - remember to get the black paint out, and paint in the black cab window wrap-around area UP to the cantrail lip,(leaving no yellow line between cab windows and roof)and also to extend the black over the cab door windows ;) a la some Scottish style L/L repaints.

Ken

There is another LL Bach 47 out there which doesn't have flush ends - Hornby mags ltd edition 47572 Ely Cathedral. She is not exactly std LL though as does not have black window surrounds. Plus she comes ready weathered which isn't everyone's thing - however I liked what I saw on their stand at ModelRail yesterday and parted with my hard earned in a flash...

I also own 47535 and was thinking of a renumber - was 614 a scottish based loco (that would suit me!). Also for those who've done it already - do the name plates T-cut off nicely with no damage to paintwork - I hate having to repaint on a brand new loco...

Cheers,

M

There is another LL Bach 47 out there which doesn't have flush ends - Hornby mags ltd edition 47572 Ely Cathedral. She is not exactly std LL though as does not have black window surrounds. Plus she comes ready weathered which isn't everyone's thing - however I liked what I saw on their stand at ModelRail yesterday and parted with my hard earned in a flash...

I also own 47535 and was thinking of a renumber - was 614 a scottish based loco (that would suit me!). Also for those who've done it already - do the name plates T-cut off nicely with no damage to paintwork - I hate having to repaint on a brand new loco...

Cheers,

M

Hi Matt

47 614 (originally XP64 blue D1733) the forerunner of BR Blue livery, was based in Scotland at Eastfield/Haymarket & Inverness depots from 5/74 to 5/87.

ED 5/74

HA 6/75

ED 5/76

IS 7/85

ED 5/87

Re-painted L/L Blue without orange cantrail stripes at ED depot by 7/85 shortly before transfer to IS

Any chance of a photo of your 47 572 ?

HTH

Ken

Thanks Ken - had a feeling 614 might have a scottish connection given it was you that raised it!! Will try get a photo of 572 this w/e and post up. I ain't no photographer tho and I don't have a layout yet (just a pile of stock and some dauntingly large and bare baseboards...)

M

• 2 months later...

So having started off with a rant and then finding out (thanks Flood) that 535 was not unique I thought I had better do something about it. Especially when the only other LLB + 2 flush end 47 was a Scottish loco. So here is 47614 as allocated to Eastfield about 1987;

47614m.jpg

Orange cant rail line removes, black around windows extended, renumbered and in service on Balbeggie Sidings.

JD

So having started off with a rant and then finding out (thanks Flood) that 535 was not unique I thought I had better do something about it. Especially when the only other LLB + 2 flush end 47 was a Scottish loco. So here is 47614 as allocated to Eastfield about 1987;

47614m.jpg

Orange cant rail line removes, black around windows extended, renumbered and in service on Balbeggie Sidings.

JD

A nice job all round. I must admit that you being able to drive your trains round the layout at anything from 45 to 95 mph does make me a bit envious. Glenn and I have to make do with (officially) 5 mph, we do stretch it to about 20 mph on occasions!

Really nice job John.

I thought I was going to be able to avoid this one - nameplates too big to hide when removed- you know, the usual lame excuses that you make to yourself when SWMBO is the real reason....and then someone comes up with a lovely model of a loco that worked your patch. To top it all I found a couple of pics taken of the infernal beast..

During an open day at HA in August 85, with IS markings rather than ED

post-3695-127508269994_thumb.jpg

and later that day on the 13.35 Glasgow to Inverness near Gleneagles

post-3695-127508279456_thumb.jpg

Looks like I'll have to sell some more N gauge stuff...

Archived