Local loco-hauled trains to Newquay

TomJ

Whilst browsing the excellent Cornwall Railway Society galleries I came across a couple of interesting photos of the Newquay branch. They were of a LL cl50 pulling a short train (4ish coaches) and were captioned 'a local Par to Newquay train'. They were from March and May 1982. I'm aware of the long distance trains to Newquay (that still run) but not these. It's the only example of a non DMU local train post steam I've seen.

Do any of the Kernow experts have any details or more info on these workings? Would add an interesting variation to passenger services on my Newquay inspired project. I don't think I can manage a Western or 50 with 12 coaches but this ought to fit and be a change from DMUs.

Thanks

My "Loco-Hauled Travel 1983-4" book lists a few Cl.50 workings to Newquay, but they all look like either through Paddington workings or the return as far as Par. One diagram covered 0947 Padd-Newquay, 1620 NQ-Par, 1755 Par-NQ, 2005 NQ-Par. But those were summer trains, and your photos were March and May.

Also some Cl.47s on cross-country workings to Newquay, but nothing that looks like a local train.

Oddly, I couldn't see any loco-hauled workings to Newquay at all in the 1982-3 edition.

Minor error - the photos were May and June (so presumably summer timetable). But both dated as a Friday and I think all the long distance trains were Saturday only.

Like you I was confused because I've never seen any reference to loco-hauled Par to Newquay trains before. And I've never seen a photo of a short one, all the photos of the Saturday trains seem to be 10 or more coaches.

But one photos good enough evidence for me to run a 50 and 4 mk1 coaches on my train set!

There were definitely short loco-hauled local trains elsewhere in the SW, even Plymouth-Penzance, and a few years earlier (79-ish), I travelled on a 25-hauled Paignton-Newton Abbott (RR)-Plymouth. Elsewhere, I'm sure I've also posted a pic of similar train on the Devon sea wall.

Possibly useful thread here if you haven't found it already: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52794-1980s-west-country-train-formations/

Archived