SOLDER problems

TWO questions that I hope somebody can answer:

FIRST; I am running out of Carrs 188 solder. I notice that it is not listed anymore on the C&L website. Is there a suitable substitute? I have spotted Frys Solder Paint for sale, but I don't know if it's similar.

SECOND, I have spotted a high melting point DHMP18, which has a meting point of 300deg. This would be ideal for soldering pieces that need detailing add-ons later, which could be soldered with 145deg solder. Is it possible to use this solder with an electric iron? I do have a 100W monster that gets hot. Would it be possible to solder up frames using it?

Thanks for any ideas

Thane of Fife

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like Eileens Emporium is a good option as I need to order some other items from them.

I can find 188deg solder strip on the C&L website, but not the paint.

Further research shows that the Fry's Solder Paint is of a similar working temperature to the C&L/Eileens offering. However, it comes in large pots which would probably last the rest of my life and much more.

Thane of Fife

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like Eileens Emporium is a good option as I need to order some other items from them.

I can find 188deg solder strip on the C&L website, but not the paint.

Further research shows that the Fry's Solder Paint is of a similar working temperature to the C&L/Eileens offering. However, it comes in large pots which would probably last the rest of my life and much more.

Thane of Fife

And is possibly what C&L, Eileens, etc. supply, repackaged in smaller quantities.

• RMweb Premium

Suggest you read the OP again G

"I am running out of Carrs 188 solder. I notice that it is not listed anymore on the C&L website. Is there a suitable substitute? I have spotted Frys Solder Paint for sale, but I don't know if it's similar."

But perhaps not as clear as it could have been.

So how paint like is this stuff then? Eileens say paste in description and paint on the tub. Does it run? will a brush stand up in it? Is it the dog's dangly bits for overlays and laminating rods?

Its not the best quality but you can buy from RS components a far better solder paste that is 'cleaner' and works really well especially with the resistance iron but its not cheap.

It comes in a syringe but as you only use a tiny amount it lasts.

Cant remember the name but it was around £20 which might be more than Carrs for less product but its much higher quality.

I use it for adding details like doorhandles and window top vents to brass sides with the London Rd iron so no heat transfer and almost no residue round the parts.

Dave

Very interesting

I have seen the syringes of solder cream, but they're very expensive and I don't think I need it as I don't build etched kits.

I use solder paint/paste for laminating brake shoes, coupling rods, and a few similar things. I can use 145deg detailing solder wire, but it requires more work as there is usually too much solder applied and it needs removal. I apply the solder paint/paste with a cocktail stick, and a use another cocktail stick for stirring.

I will note all this information and will remember it if I ever start building etched kits.

Thane of Fife

Archived