Gladiator News

david.hill64

David

Just stumbled across this thread.  Congratulations!  The Coal Tank is right up my street, one of the last was a station pilot at New Street.  Having seen your build thread last year that makes a lot of difference in knowing what to expect from a Gladiator kit.

Paul

Just to let you know that website issues have been resolved (with the excellent help of the web hosting company) so we can now receive emails that are sent to the site and process on-line transactions. I will have a count on what stock we have available later today and hope to get the site updated by tomorrow with details. Prices are unchanged from last year.

The journey begins!

• Like 5

Can I be very naughty, and moot the Urie S15?  I realise the probable response is that it is far too different to the Maunsell version, but I can only ask, can't I?

Bill

Not naughty at all, but we do need to get the current range up and running before developing new kits. There are one or two already under development by Geoff which will will take over.

• 4 weeks later...

Very happy to hear this. Plenty in the range i want to tackle in the coming months/years. Itching to get my hands on the B1 kit & L1, Black 5, 02, Jubilee plus others :D

Thank you. The good news is that the B1 and L1 are in production now and will be ready in March. The Black 5 and Jubilee were Javelin models and not part of the sale but Geoff will probably continue to make them available.

• 3 weeks later...

The following kits are nearly ready and will be available at Kettering:

LMS Duchess (both versions)

LMS Princess

LMS Patriot

LNWR Coal Tank

LNER B1

LNER D10/11

LNER L1

LNER U1

SR S15

SR King Arthur

The initial batch of B1s and S15s have all been reserved and will be repeated in the next production run. At present this will probably include the following which should be available for May:

LMS Rebuilt Royal Scot

LMS Rebuilt Patriot

LNER B1

LNER K1

LNER O4

LNER S1

LNER C1

SR S15

SR Schools

SR Urie Arthur

SR H2 Atlantic

We are open to suggestions for others to include.

Some other stock is available as listed on the website

See you at Kettering!

Dave and Trisha

Edited by david.hill64
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who came and said 'hello' to us at Kettering.

Apologies that the King Arthurs, L1's, N/S Duchesses and Coal Tanks are running late. I'd blame the wrong sort of snow, but it's actually down to managerial incompetence. (Not involving SWMBO of course!) These will be available at the end of the month. Contrary to what I thought previously, there is one S15 remaining. As a bonus the etching company has produced the loco body for this in nickel silver rather than the usual brass. The same for the Coal Tanks. I have to say that rolling nickel silver into the small diameter of a Coal Tank boiler is not the easiest thing to do. I've done three already and my rollers are demanding a rest!

Next outing is Leigh.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

i am pleased to say that the L1, Coal Tank, Non-Streamlined Duchess, Schools, S15 and Maunsell King Arthurs are now available. All of the King Arthurs are reserved, so another batch - both Maunsell and Urie versions - are in production and will be available in May. 

These will be joined by:

H2 Atlantic

Rebuilt Scot

Rebuilt Patriot

S1 Wath Daisy

B1 (get saving Jeff!)

For various reasons the LNER C1 will be much later this year and production of the ROD 04 will  also be delayed, but we do have one in stock.

The candidates for summer release include:

LNER B16

LNER D17

LNER J11

LNER J21

LNER J25

LNER K2

LNER O4

LNER O4/7

LNER Q6

LMS Stanier Mogul

LMS 7F

LNWR SDX

SR I3

We will not be able to release all of these at the same time, so to help us prioritise the release we would like to hear your opinions on what you would like.

Thanks! 

Dave and Trisha

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very pleased to say that David and Trisha will be supporting their local Derby Exhibition at The Roundhouse on 7th and 8th May.

This is your opportunity to buy all those kits you have been dreaming of and it also gives you an opportunity to tell David what's on your wish list - as he has said above, there are many in the pipeline but what should come next ? Visit our show and tell him !!

• RMweb Premium

On the plus side it gives me another couple of weeks to clear the workbench!

I see you are in Leek - Google Maps tells me that is only 30 miles from The Roundhouse and so you can come and visit the Gladiator stand at the Derby Show 7th & 8th May.

• 4 weeks later...

We are pleased to announce that a limited number (greater than 0, less than 2) Urie King Arthur kits are now available.

We are still on track to have the previously announced Rebuilt Scot, Rebuilt Patriot, LNER B1, K1 and S1, and LBSCR H2 Kits available in May. These will be joined by some more Maunsell and Urie King Arthurs (including one with a 6 wheel tender) and the LBSCR H1 Atlantic.

We are still looking for suggestions about the Summer releases.

Dave and Trisha

• 4 weeks later...

First an update on life in general!

Many of you will know that I have a full time job in Bangkok, while simultaneously running Gladiator (with Trisha) and kit building. This is obviously untenable: the idea was always that I would finish my work in Bangkok and return home so that I could devote all of my time to the businesses. However, purchasing the Gladiator business relied on money from selling the house and down-sizing. Unfortunately selling has not been as quick as expected and I have had to have the security of income from employment to cover various financial obligations taken on so that we could buy the business. The good news is that it seems likely that we have a buyer for the house so Gladiator affairs should start moving more quickly soon.

I have just spent several days at home: this has been great and allowed me to make progress in getting the next batch of kits together. Unfortunately I am still short of parts for just about everything that was planned for release this month. While I hope to have most ready for Doncaster, it may be a little later before they are ready.

I had a good day casting white metal. Those who have done this before will know that it is as much art as science! It is very satisfying when you get a nice set of crisp castings. I can only cast small moulds myself and have started the process of having new moulds made to replace some of the older larger moulds. Geoff had already started this process and we plan to continue it to make sure that any white metal castings that we use are of good quality. Part of the delay to the reintroduction of the Rebuilt Scot, Rebuilt Patriot, H1, H2, K1 and S1 kits is down to getting new moulds made.

So the above preamble is really just getting prepared for the apology that the kits planned for release in May may not all be available this month and that realistically the summer releases are more likely to be ready for Telford.

Following a couple of requests we plan to make the utility front Duchesses available with both the welded and rivetted tenders as well as the de-streamlined tender.

Please bear with us while we get on top of things.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow I start the journey home for the Doncaster show. Subject to delivery of various bits in the next couple of days I am hoping to have one or two rebuilt Scots, a couple of Maunsell Arthurs (one with 6 wheel tender) and an LNER K1 and SR H2 available as new stock.

Please come and have a chat!

• Like 1

Thanks to all who came for a chat at Doncaster.

It looks like I will still be commuting for a little while, so kit reintroduction will be a little slower than planned.

We had the Rebuilt Scots, a Maunsell Arthur with 6 wheel tender and a K1 available at the show and managed yesterday to get a couple of B1s and an H2 packed as well. These are now available and I will update the website.  A Maunsell Arthur with Bogie tender will follow as soon as the buffers are delivered.

The Rebuilt Patriots and Wath Daisy kits are delayed a little longer waiting parts. 

We already have the etches in stock to produce O4s and O4/7s and LMS Bogie Brake van kits. Following requests we will make sure that these are available at Telford, together with LNER J21, J25, LNWR SDX and SR I3.

We will need to order parts very soon for anything else for collection at Telford, so if you have a serious request please let us know within the next 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Although Guildex at Telford is some 11 weeks away, we have already reached the point at which orders must be placed with various suppliers to get parts in time. So we have taken the plunge on what to get in stock and I am pleased to say that we are confident that by Telford (and probably sooner) we will have the following kits restocked:

SR Maunsell King Arthur with bogie tender

SR H1 (late version)

SR I3

LMS SDX

LMS 7F

LMS 8F

LMS Stanier Mogul

LMS Rebuilt Patriot

LNER J21

LNER J25

LNER O4

LNER O4/7

LNER Q6

LNER S1

Katharine

We have already restocked the following

SR Schools

SR S15

SR Urie King Arthur

SR Maunsell King Arthur (6 wheel tender)

SR Maunsell King Arthur (bogie tender) - initial batch now all sold

LMS Patriot

LMS Duchess (two types)

LMS Princess

LMS Rebuilt Scot

LMS Coal Tank

LNER B1

LNER D10/11 - initial batch now all sold.

LNER K1

LNER U1

Additionally there are still stocks of kits assembled by Geoff that are still available.

We are also stocking up on the LMS Bogie Brake van and LNWR Coal/Coke wagons that have been out of stock.

It's not been without its odd problems in packing, but looking back I am pleased with where we are.

The range is large and there are still a number of types that are out of stock and not planned for immediate reintroduction, so I will conclude with my usual request to let us know what you would like to see reintroduced next. The GNR atlantics are high priority but need work to get them ready.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Regretfully we have just announced on the website that we will have to increase prices later this year. In the last month we have been hit with price increases of between 10 and 45% (!!!) on various bought-in materials and components. We will absorb as much of this as possible and will take reservations for any kit at the current price through September. We do not yet know by how much we will have to increase prices and will keep any rise to the minimum possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all who stopped by for a chat at Guildex, Telford over the weekend. It was good to meet people again.

Sorry we didn't manage to get everything ready that we had hoped to prepare. We will have the O4, O4/7, 8F's and SDX locos available by Reading and replaced stocks of Coal tanks and LMS bogie brakes which are now sold out.