class 33030 ews

class37418stag

The headcode lights are very dim at the best of times - that's standard for Heljan class 33s.

As for tail lights, 33s don't really have them. They normally use two red blanks in the rear headcode box but only when at the rear of a train (eg propelling a 4TC unit) or travelling light engine.

Hi Andrew,

I have this model and neither of the issues you describe are faults, but are typical of the Heljan model. The headlights are always fairly dim when compared to Bachmann or Hornby's efforts. The loco's tail lights aren't coloured, but I've read about someone modifying them by using the transparent red plastic sweet wrapper from quality street or roses etc stuck behind the bodyshell as a coloured lens.

If you want to check the brightness of your headlamps, click on the Kielder Forest topic in my signature line. There's a pic of my Heljan 33 in there with it's front lights on - if they're about the same brightness your loco is fine although the lights on mine look brighter and whiter in the photos than they do in real life.

Hi Andrew,

I have this model and neither of the issues you describe are faults, but are typical of the Heljan model. The headlights are always fairly dim when compared to Bachmann or Hornby's efforts. The loco's tail lights aren't coloured, but I've read about someone modifying them by using the transparent red plastic sweet wrapper from quality street or roses etc stuck behind the bodyshell as a coloured lens.

If you want to check the brightness of your headlamps, click on the Kielder Forest topic in my signature line. There's a pic of my Heljan 33 in there with it's front lights on - if they're about the same brightness your loco is fine although the lights on mine look brighter and whiter in the photos than they do in real life.

Hiya I brought from ebay and look new one to me so my looc is too low bright and your loco bright than my loco by seen your website of photo so how i need mend or replace new one bright on my loco so anyone can repair my loco?

Thank you

Just clarifying what I said about tail lights: the Heljan 33 does have a tail light but it is barely visible unless you have darkened the room almost completely. What I meant to say, though, was that the real class 33s don't have functioning tail lights as such, the marker/tail lights being disused or even plated over on some locomotives.

You may be able to persuade more light out pf the headlight by replacing the bulb or by reducing the resistance on the pcb (swap it for a lower value resistor). As has been said before, it is quite normal for the Heljan lights to be relatively dim.

Hi,

D.C. or D.C.C. running?? It does make a difference.

If you are running the 33 on DC then the performance of the lights is pretty poor (unless doing a scale speed of about 200mph!!). This is usual for Heljan 33s in my experience (i have 6 of varying ages/releases and they are all as bad as each other reguarding the lights) otherwise a superb model!

However, the lights work fine on DCC so if poss try converting to DCC running (if it really gets on your nerves and justifies the expense) or try replacing with a superior lighting rig which is more responsive to DC power conditions (prob cheaper than conversion to DCC i would think) There are a number of companies producing DC lighting modules- not entirely sure if there are any specifically for the Heljan 33 but most are capable of being modified to fit any loco and usually come with electronic wizardry to keep the lights at full intensity at low speed.

Just to add, as SRman says, the tail lights on 33s were hardly visible, if at all used on the real thing, as the red window blinds were preferred practice but it's not practical on the model to keep changing the blinds to suit!

Good luck and hope you get it sorted smile.gif

Secretsquirrel

Archived