Verwood Creek

Loconuts

Verwood Creek Depot

There has been one other Verwood Creek layout based on a small logging short line using the usual Bachy equipment and Peco Narrow gauge track, built about 12 years ago. It did not look right with the code 100 rail and the Bachy stock.

This new Verwood Creek has nothing to do with Logging, but uses the Ophir Tramway building as it's centre piece. Using two of the old layouts four by two base boards it forms part of a larger layout being built in a garage. The original intention was to just build a mine loading point, however with the removal of my milling machine a larger area was opened up which gave enough space for a small Depot. Due to the position of these two boards it was found that they could be removed from the main layout with ease and be used as a small stand alone exhibition layout.

The spec for the layout was to use code 83 track (Micro Engineering) with DCC. Locos and stock is mainly MMI, AMS and San Juan. There are two Broadway Limited C-16's which are under going a cosmetic change to bring them up to the same standard as the MMI Locos. All locos and stock use the Kadee On3 larger coupling set at the same height as On3, so I am out here singing in the wilderness.

Trains have traversed the depot and the track just needs ballasting, but after that things get tricky. Not having built a scenic layout for over 30 years I have a steep learning curve as scenic technics have changed over the years and when one looks at the beautiful work done on Mara Harbour I have a mountain to climb. Luckily I have friends on the other side of the pond plus a good crowd of fellow On30 guys over here who I hope I can call upon.

The goal is to have it at least 80% or more finished for October.

Loconuts

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys for no new updates as promised, this is due to swmbo taking a turn for the worst with her health and demanding more of my time waiting on her, most of which I think is put on.

My latest purchase has been some PSC Switch Stands (non-working), however I think I can get them working with a little bit of magic in the workshop. Should have some results by the end of this week.

As far as the depot there has been a little bit of rearranging the the track to accommodate the buildings which I have been progressing with. Actually ran a K-27 through all the track work with no mishaps which is a good sign. The week I decided to ballast the track we had a freeze up so it was a no no.

Now with things looking clear ahead a regular update and photos should be forth coming.

Loconuts

Archived