Plumstead Yard and Signal Box

retbsignalman

Hi!

Does anyone have any pics of the yard at Plumstead on the North Kent line please? I recently acquired the last diagram from the 'box on eSkip and would like to find out more about both the yard and the 'box with a view to modelling it. I've googled and Flickr'd both, but they seem to be somewhat camera shy!  The google map of the area shows it after Crossrail works had started, so it looks a bit of a building site at the eastern end!

Ta in advance!

G

As usual the National Library of Scotland can provide you with clear OS maps of the area for a couple of periods. Typically Plumstead station is on the join between two 1:1250 sheets, the passenger bit being on sheet TQ4478 NE, and the goods yard that you're interested in is in TQ4578 NW

Plumstead had a coal depot handing coal in 21t hoppers in the 1970s,

it lasted into the Speedlink Coal Network era until at least 1987 when the coal was arriving in HBAs and HEAs

cheers

It also handled timber traffic after the 'Hurricane' of 1987, and some military traffic (anti-aircraft missile batteries, IIRC) during EWS days.

We used to work coal in from B Arms until it closed, normally only a half a dozen wagons and wouldn't start shunting until the rush hour was in full swing as Trevor the shunter would always say it looked like the yard was busy. When B Arms closed the coal would come from Norward via London Bridge low level. We also had quite at lot of MOD traffic in and out. My time working these was from 79 to 84.

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Archived