Mr Grumpy’s Workbench: MOK 9F occasional updates

Mr Grumpy

Oops....I started to run away with the build! 

The sides of the wagon are made up from six doors and four panels. The doors are made up with hinges, door clasps and locking rods. Each panel has the cross bracing and door catches fitted.

post-19951-0-96713500-1496746766.png

Then via slot and tab I tack soldered the middle tabs only along the wagon, making sure everything was level and also running straight. 

post-19951-0-27030900-1496747563_thumb.png

Once satisfied, I sacrificed a couple of lengths of rail and soldered inside and this increased the rigidity. (As per Raymond Walley) I then soldered the rest of the tabs.

Oddly, I hadn't given any thought to how big this wagon is! If I still had my diesels, I would get a few to mix in to a nice parcel train :-) but only need the one for my next layout.

post-19951-0-48686800-1496746839.png

post-19951-0-39534500-1496746864.png

• Like 2

Hi Deano... those pics couldn't have come at a more opportune time!! I'm having a brain ache with the ganging steps and I can now see they hook over the top of the wooden footboard. The rear edge of the board doesn't bend up on the kit, so I will make some out of scrap etch. Thanks again!!

Richard

Hi Deano... those pics couldn't have come at a more opportune time!! I'm having a brain ache with the ganging steps and I can now see they hook over the top of the wooden footboard. The rear edge of the board doesn't bend up on the kit, so I will make some out of scrap etch. Thanks again!!

Richard

Pleased to help, Richard.

As mentioned, I have one of these, so following your build with interest.

Regards, Deano.

• RMweb Gold

Your loco looks amazing Richard yet again you have done it proud. At this rate I'm going to have to end up commissioning you to build some of my kits ;-).

Hi Richard,

I am not quite sure of what hook you mean? As you can see my Fruit D is still waiting for its turn through the paint shop, here are a couple of pictures for you, there's one of each side and one in general.

I hope they are of some help, if you need any different angles give us a shout. If I remember rightly I did not fit the steps until last as they can be pretty vulnerable.

post-7101-0-73393200-1496951290_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-94225000-1496951313_thumb.jpg

post-7101-0-25160700-1496951335_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Martyn.

• Like 5

Hi Richard,

Right I'm with you now, memories not that good nowadays. Excuse the picture quality and the cruel close up, but hopefully the photos will explain themselves.

In your picture above, the first step on the left is the one fitted below and it fits in to the sole bar and the little up stand is a bracket to support the step.

post-7101-0-96072600-1497021947_thumb.jpg

And the next type does roughly the same but only fits halfway back into the sole bar.

post-7101-0-11341800-1497021976_thumb.jpg

Hope this is of some help.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link
  • Like 2

This build has been a bit of a roller coaster. Nothing wrong with the kit, just me making a school boy error which lead to a bit of a strip and re-build.

I wasn't 100% happy with the sole bars, and always have difficulty folding them even after opening the etched fold lines with a triangular file.

I should have stopped and double checked, but continued and fitted them, followed by the roof, vents and chassis floor and trusses.

When I turned the wagon over, there was a distinct rock between the corners. With three of the W irons flat to the bench, the fourth was about 1.75mm off the surface.

I tried a little twist of the body, but made things worse, and broke the trusses.

The bin looked like the best solution, but my wife advised I revisit it the next day.

So off came the chassis and roof to allow access to the sole bar and that came off as well (A few other bits unintentionally flew off too!)

I gave the sole bar a decent thump with a piece of wood in the hold and fold and it looked distinctly better for it! Everything is now back in place, including the buffers I also removed and the roof vents that I hadn't!

I have ordered some 1.5 angle to replace the trusses which should be here tomorrow.

post-19951-0-20228100-1497539735.png

Edited by Mr Grumpy
  • Like 4

While I wait for the replacement axleboxes/springs, I thought I may as well crack on with the steps, footboards and brake levers.

The brake leaver brackets are relatively easy to assemble. I took the precaution of running my fret saw blade along the ratchet fold line before bending and it worked a treat :-)

To be honest, I found the whole experience of fitting the footboard, step and bracket frustrating and overly fiddly. I really struggled to get the iron in and resorted to using my 25w iron with a tiny bit which took forever to heat the parts. As warned, the steps are incredibly fragile, and this one snapped just because it wanted to :-)

I decided to put a decent fillet of solder behind it and it is nice and solid. So, in the time I thought I would get all six boards, steps and brake levers fitted...I managed one! Please excuse the soldering :-)

post-19951-0-90189500-1498065972_thumb.png

post-19951-0-68221000-1498065994.png

post-19951-0-70825400-1498066033.png

post-19951-0-07497900-1498066062.png

post-19951-0-65532500-1498066101.png

• Like 6

7mm brake ratchets,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,luxury!

Mike.

Yes, the brake lever brackets were very straightforward:-) I don't know how you 4mm guys get in to solder intricate parts. I'm definitely warming to purchasing a RSU. I'd Best Buy a cheapish kit to practice on though...I'm certain to vapourise it :-) Edited by Mr Grumpy

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the brake lever brackets were very straightforward:-) I don't know how you 4mm guys get in to solder intricate parts. I'm definitely warming to purchasing a RSU. I'd Best Buy a cheapish kit to practice on though...I'm certain to vapourise it :-)

No need for a kit, just zap etch waste, you'll have plenty of that.

Until you get used to it, start low and increase power until it works.

Mike.

I would thoroughly recommend an RSU, one of my better buys. I use mine with C&L's 188 degree solder paste, it keeps all the work clean and it's like having another hand as the probe holds the work in place, so no more burnt fingers, bargain.....

Martyn.

....Can anyone recommend a model?

I saw the Swanage Model co one in the 0 Gauge Gazette and the chap informed me they have just gone up to £195 due to him becoming VAT registered.

The budget is a little squeezed at the moment as I'm about to order my baseboards, so it may have to go on my Christmas present list....along with a few items already requested :-)

Mine came from Fourtrack Models, at the time I think it was around £110, but we are talking a long time ago. I'm not sure but I think Fourtrack no longer trades or it could be what is now or was London road models.

I will go and do some research and report back.

Martyn.