• RMweb Premium

Neither.

The signal allowing exit from the goods yard needs to be to the left of the one circled in blue, before the point blades start for the turnout onto the main line.

It is in situations like this that a yellow disc shunt signal comes into play, it stays in the danger unless the route is set out to the main line. While it is at danger though trains may pass it to go into the head shunt.

There are many other ways of doing this of course and no doubt someone more versed in GWR practice will be able to advise.

You will also probably need a signal allowing trains to leave the headshunt - this stops then crashing into something signalled into the yard from the main line.

Edited by phil-b259

I would agree that the position is wrong and needs to be further to the left.

Whilst it might be a ringed-arm semaphore, I would be more inclined to go for a ground-disc. Avoid yellow discs on the GWR - another big NO :-) Certainly there were places where signals were provided for moves into/out of head-shunts, but I would venture that they were rare in places such as your proposed location.

Hopefully Mike will be along again soon....:-)

• RMweb Gold

I would agree that the position is wrong and needs to be further to the left.

Whilst it might be a ringed-arm semaphore, I would be more inclined to go for a ground-disc. Avoid yellow discs on the GWR - another big NO :-) Certainly there were places where signals were provided for moves into/out of head-shunts, but I would venture that they were rare in places such as your proposed location.

Hopefully Mike will be along again soon....:-)

To agree with you again Chris.  The GWR did not use yellow shunt discs and they didn't even begin to appear on the Western Region until 1950 at the earliest (and then probably quite slowly with many places never being altered to receive them).

I would agree that a ground disc signal is far more likely than a ringed arm semaphore.

Not sure what you mean by "after the point but before the blade"?

In simple terms, blue location is better [#]. The signal needs to be to the left of the toe of the point, ie any train going from left to right must reach the signal (and stop!) before it reaches the point blade. If there is insufficient clearance with the engine shed siding, then you might go a little bit further back to the left and then put it outside of that siding as well, or perhaps between the loop and the main line.

[#] Nothing 'wrong' with the red location probably, but of course the engine would have to stop further away from the point and it would have to ignore the signal and pass it every time it went into the shed road.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nothing personal, but WHY do you keep putting this in other people's threads.  You can start your own, just click on the top right - "Start a new Topic" 

Edited by imt

• RMweb Gold

Isn't Matt the thread-starter?

regards

Yes it's his thread.  Someone else had posted another layout here, and I suggested it would be better if he started a new topic.  THAT post has gone.