The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

We are the Railway Children

Theakerr

There is at least one "homegrown" model railway manufacturer in India, in the form of PLine http://pline.co.in/index.htm

The young guy who runs it is an enthusiast himself, and started it as an adjunct to his father's engineering business - shades of Bassett Lowke c1898.

I have one of his very early production locos, which is very well made in terms of the plate-work, but was let down by the drive-train. His quality has shot up as he's taken feedback and gained experience, and others I know who have bought from him more recently have been very happy indeed.

Kevin

There was someone posting on here who was building his own stock from scratch for a model in India; I recollect his modelling time was circumscribed by being lodged at his school during term time. There was a famous 'toy train' owned by a mararajah; made of silver, it ran around his dining table, conveying cruet and condiments. As someone said, in India, the hobby's the preserve of the rich.

• RMweb Premium

Quite simple: not many Indians can afford a model railway, and even if they could, few would have space in their house to put it in. And then there's the climate! Friends live in Thailand and he's building the only known Swiss NG layout in the country. Unlike here, he can't use wood for the legs, he had to use steel for the base board supports, due to local creepy crawly vermin having a taste for wood. No doubt India has its own versions of said vermin ;)  The monsoon is another reason why model railways in India aren't very common: the place regularly floods and the waters remain for a very long time, causing massive damages to houses and other structures. (my friends live in the hills, so less prone to flooding. They've carefully chosen their new home there, with the layout in mind!)

The models are cheap, its just that no one could afford to populate the model to create those grossly overloaded scenes!

Archived