RMweb

The Whisky thread

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

You can still buy it

100 Pipers - Bot.1970s : The Whisky Exchange.................................£100 a bottle

Hi tigerburnie,

I had a quick look at the site you referred to; it's a different whisky.  The blurb mentions that 100 Pipers was rebranded in the 70s.  The period I am thinking of is around 25-30 years ago.  Thanks, though, for posting the link to that site as it makes 'interesting' reading.

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago I visited the Johnnie Walker Princes Street in Edinburgh (it’s directly across the road from the ‘Caley’) and did one of their tours, much better than I expected, not the usual ‘this is how whisky is made’ type of distillery tour, much more focused on flavours, company history and marketing. Which is what blends are all about. 

These two whiskies are what we’re currently drinking, very different from each other, but both are very nice!

Brian.

5E3232C5-3608-4899-99DC-385A0D23CA9E.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a "friend" of Laphroaig for years, visited the distillery, enjoyed the tour and tastings but have to say the 10 year old with it's chill filtering and added caramel for the American market is one of their weaker drams, try the Quarter Cask, it is way better without being too expensive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I like a peated whisky, but while Laphroaig is perfectly palatable I find it just a little OTT and prefer a Lagavullin or Caol Ila.  I have a fairly decent range of sub-£60 malt whiskies but my current evereyday (well, maybe not every day) quaffing whisky is Lidl's Abrachan Peated and Smoky, which is a blend of Speyside and Highland malts and so not really all that peaty or smoky, but nevertheless surprisingly good, especially at £16.99 a bottle.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

You'd like Old Pultney then, often on offer at Tesco's(other super markets are available, but often dearer).

I have a bottle - well. most of a bottle - in my collection.  I'd rather forgotten about it and shall try it again.  One of the reasons I bought it in the first place was because I liked the picture of the herring drifter on the box!  I've always wanted a model of one of these.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've got some Oban - very nice but, as you say, pricey, so it's kept for special occasions.  Campbeltown?  I'm partial to Springbank, the price of which varies enormously - the 10-year old seems to be about £65 normally but Amazon are selling it for £198!  I do have a bottle of Glen Scotia which I think I got as an inducement to take out a subscription to some publication or other, but perhaps understandably it's the cheap Harbour edition which is sometimes on sale in the supermarkets for less than £30 - decent enough but unremarkable.  As I like a sweeter whisky I'd like to try a Kilkerran.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2023 at 17:31, tigerburnie said:

Cambletown Malts also have that coastal, "light Islay" kinda twang you might like too, as does Oban, but that is a pricey dram and I don't really know why.

Oban is a firm favourite of mine.  If only it wasn't so expensive these days.  I used to receive a bottle as a gift virtually every year but people have stopped buying it now that it has become so pricey.

The last time I had a glass was a few years ago now.  Oddly, at the end of an excellent meal in a small family restaurant in Rome.  I was delighted to discover the only whisky on the drinks menu was Oban and for a very modest price my wife and I were served two of the largest largest glasses of spirits we'd ever seen.  I'd estimate them to have been quadruples!  Fortunately, it was less than a kilometre to the appartment, particularly since I had to help my wife finish her cognac too.  (I slept well.)

I have a suspicion, based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, they have put the price up and increased the amount they export to the USA where there are more people with too much money.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/03/2023 at 11:06, tigerburnie said:

Not long finished one of these, most acceptable from what I think is the single most old fashioned distillery I have visited.

Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair Islay Single Malt 

Enjoyed a bottle of that last year.  Still can't pronounce it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Absolutely couldn't let this special offer pass, this normally sells out by about July each year.  I've never tried it but it is The Daddy of Islay malts, so has to be tried.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/3121/lagavulin-16-year-old

I actually have another bottle bought about 13 years ago, but as it's unopened it's probably worth about five times the price of a new one so will hang on to it for now.

The usual disclaimer with TWE, I've been a very satisfied customer several times.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It took me nearly a year - in parallel with 2 or 3 other bottles - to finish off the Lagavulin 16y.o.  I did wonder if I'd be a fan as it is considered very rich and smoky but I appreciated every drop; the smokiness isn't harsh at all and I now endorse its reputation (as the Daddy of Islay malts to some).

My weekend tipple is currently alternating between an Edradour 10y.o. and Tamnavulin Red Wine Cask Edition (recently discounted in Sainsburys), both recommended.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Havent looked into this thread for a while.

my current favourites are still the old favourites..  Glendronach, Old Pulteney, Glenfarclas, Hibiki.

For christmas I was bought a 24 miniature tasting set, which has thrown up a few surprises.

Whilst they are mostly anonymous a bit of research will find out whats what, in this case one bottle was undeniably …

Port Dundas

closed 2010 since demolished distillery. Grain whisky, once used in production of Haig, it seems there was hundreds of barrels squirrelled away and invariably appear in warehouse bottlings.

Whilst there might be loads now, there is no more coming from where it came from.. 

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/port-dundas/port-dundas-14-year-old-2008-cask-585869-585874-signatory-whisky/

£38 for a 14 yr whisky from a closed distillery sounds ok to me, and tastes very nice too. The price probably reflects a level of sniffiness about what it was used for (VAT69, Haig, J&B and Johnie Walker) but on its own its a nice grain whisky, which stands out amongst the Malts. I suspect time will overtake the sniffiness and look back on it favourably, afterall Haig uses Glenkinchie and Linkwood too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Edradour is a most interesting place to visit if you are in the Pitlochry are

Edradour distillery is currently not open to the public and does not plan to open in 2024. Blair Athol distillery is nearby and is open for tours, also Robertsons of Pitlochry is an essential stop whenever in that area.

I’m currently enjoying a Glen Gairoch Founders Reserve, did the tour in early March, excellent value. The tour includes a now rare on site maltings and three drams.

Brian.

IMG_0984.jpeg.1ebc05a810938d7f5a043e9ffb862851.jpegIMG_0978.jpeg.2dc5e4184482a4352c594d1d6f0d3395.jpeg

• Like 2

Glen "Geery" is indeed an excellent dram. not been in the place, but did some work with BT out side it over a decade ago, don't get up to north Aberdeenshire much these days, went most weeks when my son was based at Kinloss for four years, lovely and mostly unexplored part of Scotland, as is the bit I live in too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Recent tour of several whisky distilleries. Myself and daughter 1 had a tour of Dalwhinnie, plus not shown Royal Lochnagar. Several drams sampled of course, and came away with 3 bottles to savour. Brilliant trip will be going back for sure.IMG_2208.jpeg.f291337388f4b8cc75b9e182bfa91e26.jpeg

IMG_2207.jpeg.3148c99e98d9ae4cfd80df8700565f26.jpeg

IMG_2196.jpeg.60cfd714ca716c15a385ee6785ecfc1d.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg.305045f08dc07c75ea478a68113614fa.jpegIMG_2203.jpeg.15ef4a4bbf45c107681fa6383e5917bd.jpegIMG_2178.jpeg.3b5c4da253c458626a59fcc74d336685.jpeg

Neil

• Like 5