Dapol class 56 lighting

markb

Hi im hoping someone can help me :) AToday i brought a brandnew n gauge Dapol class 56 we test run it in the shop and the lighting worked both way's . I have it home running it in lighting work one way as in headlights and tail light's. Running it the opposite direction no lighting work's ? I really don't wan't to lwter the shop as it's a replacement for a farish class 101 and have been really good to me .Appreiate any help or advice :) Merry christmas :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Sadly the little controlling didoes on the PCB are a weak point and do fail - It seems a random thing but can be down to faulty component but as it ran in shop ok a bit odd but does happen - infant mortality. Sometimes a voltage spike can occur on DC controllers with feedback and these are beyond the 100v  range of the diodes.

As it is brand new I would contact shop but also get advice from DCC supplies as the repair agent for Dapol products and do as they say.

I have had all of the 56 models and with most of Dapol diesels over the years and not yet had a 56 fail - I have got and soldered in diodes after advice from DCC models and the helpful souls on here- fiddly but can be done.  At Warley club we now use own built controllers after spikes and feed back issues, some controllers produced a very pronounced pulse DC and cause buzzing in locos and one or two spikes from components saw AC output.  

Hopefully the next batch will be not too far away having seen the adverts in mags last month.

Robert 

Hopefully it can be sorted.       

Thank's for the info :) I sent Dapol a email about it so hopefully hear something from them after christmas break. I had it running last night all light's stopped working then going one way have come back on and are still working now :s

I have Seen on Dapol own site an google with some Dapol loco's dry solder joint's is fairly common :/ .Iv'e been after a n gauge 56 for age's an saved for age's after more important bill's im a bit diapointed as it run's so well compared to even my farish class 66 an 170 . I actually think it is as detailed if not more than my oo gauge 56's !

I have had no luck with my recent n gauge purchase's hopefully something simple Dapol can fix for me after all this bad luck !

Thank's mark

Well that phone call was a waste of time about getting my class 56 fixed under warranty! Im very disapointed with how i just got spoke to after spending £130 on a model with 37 minutes running i would think i should last longer than that!

• 3 years later...

I have two brand new 56's. 56001 & 56022. Ran in on DC. Everything works fine. Inserted DCC decoders, programmed on track. Directional lights don't work on either loco. Tried on DC ...... don't work on DC now. Sent off to DCC Supplies for repair. I wait in anticipation