Head torch for close work

John Urquhart

I need a head torch for close-up work. Bewildering array available, some with single light source, some with three (reduces shadows), some LED, some with something called CREE, some with magnifying loupe built in. Battery powered, rechargeable, mains or USB. Focus facility. Does a really bright one marketed for caving going to be too bright for close work?

What do people use, and what can be recommended?

CREE are a LED manufacturer and are to be recommended, especially for the single LED variety. If you want something with a focussing system then a single LED is best (it's not easy to focus multiple sources). The cheapest ones just pack in lots of fairly bog standard LEDs. More does not mean better.

Rather than a head torch I use a cheap multi LED light with a flexible arm and a large bulldog clip (intended for use as clip on reading light) that I can clip wherever I need it and then position the light.

Someone made a reflector from half a large baked bean tin and fitted white LED strips in it.

• RMweb Gold

I use my work issued LEDlenser headtorch for close up work, single LED, focusable and dimmable, charges via usb or you can put in normal AAA batteries if you prefer

It will also illuminate a good 1/4 mile ahead if you outside when turned up fully, ive just charged mine as it happens as i need it to walk along the track tonight

Archived