Camera club question re film photography

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

I'm thinking of joining a camera club in the New Year. Looking round the clubs' websites near me there is, understandably, a bias towards digital photography However, having the joy of owning both Leica and Rolleiflex film cameras I am more interested in that side of things.

Does anyone know of places where similarly minded individuals congregate? Obviously as I could not be much further south in the country I would prefer somewhere within a couple of hours travel time, say for a monthly meeting, or maybe internet based.

Anyone?

Not the most useful of answers, sorry, as I don't know of any dedicated film groups 'in the flesh'.  Online there seems to be a fair few communities based around forums, blogs and Flickr groups, but I don't recall seeing any spin off into local "area groups".  If you want a couple of pointers I can list a couple I drop by for a read, but just like the model railway world it depends on personal taste what suits you best.

Like yourself I enjoy working with film and film equipment - all 35mm stuff at the moment.

I too would think that online groups and photographic forum are your best bet, other than perhaps a photographic educational course at a college - these do tend to favour relatively manual film equipment so that you absolutely have to learn the basics. On such a course you would meet people and certainly submit assignments for appraisal.

Couple of suggestions. Where do you get your film equipment from ask them they may know interested parties. Also try good second hand camera shops they again may know a suitable group. Or set up your own group. Not trying to be rude but ask the U3A its something they may have on there books.

Keith HC

Archived