Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

• RMweb Gold

At least this Russian fleet didn't emulate it's czarist predecessor who fired on and I believe sank some fishing boats in the North Sea, believing them to be Japanese warships.

Jamie

Blimey, I've heard of being off course but that required them to be seriously lost!

• Like 1

Yes, the aircraft carrier, adding to global warming, black smoke is conducive to burning heavy crude.

I think you mean indicative of burning what's called bunker fuel.

I've read elsewhere that the North Sea and the English Channel is an Emission Control zone which means that they should use low sulphur fuel or pay a fine. I'm sure Putin won't mind if we invoice him directly...

Blimey, I've heard of being off course but that required them to be seriously lost!

They weren't lost: it was the Russian Baltic Fleet setting off for Japan during the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-05.  They knew they were in the North Sea but they feared that the Japanese might have surreptitiously sent a force round from the other side of the world to intercept them.  Three British fisherman were killed, and two Russians died as a result of "friendly" fire.  (Not too bad a result for the Brits, really, considering they were completely unarmed, against an imperial navy battle fleet.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogger_Bank_incident

As Judge Dread pointed out, when the Russians eventually reached the Far East (having had to go the long way around Africa, having been refused passage through the Suez canal on account of having attacked British shipping en route) they got their @rses handed to them on a plate by the Japanese.  The Japanese did have the sneaky advantage of having practised fighting naval battles against real warships beforehand - as well as having faster ships, more big guns, better rangefinding equipment, and playing at home:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tsushima

​On a farcebook thread someone has posted that it isn't allowed out to play unless its accompanied by an ocean going tug.

That would be the Nikolay Chiker, according to the information I've seen. You can look her up on https://www.vesselfinder.com/ - she seems to be hanging around off the north coast of Morocco at the moment.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2

As Judge Dread pointed out, when the Russians eventually reached the Far East (having had to go the long way around Africa, having been refused passage through the Suez canal on account of having attacked British shipping en route) they got their @rses handed to them on a plate by the Japanese.  The Japanese did have the sneaky advantage of having practised fighting naval battles against real warships beforehand - as well as having faster ships, more big guns, better rangefinding equipment, and playing at home:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tsushima

Going seriously off-topic here, but the Japanese flagship, the Mikasa, was built in Barrow-in-Furness. The builder's plate is visible when you board it ('tis preserved in dry dock in Yokosuka), gave me a funny twinge of pride (having grown up just within sight of the shipyard cranes).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Going seriously off-topic here, but the Japanese flagship, the Mikasa, was built in Barrow-in-Furness. The builder's plate is visible when you board it ('tis preserved in dry dock in Yokosuka), gave me a funny twinge of pride (having grown up just within sight of the shipyard cranes).

I think you will find that most, if not all, of the modern Japanese battleships at Tsushima were British built.

Quite probably, but the Mikasa is the only one I know of still open to paying visitors. You could probably do the Mikasa and the Foreigners' Cemetery in Yokohama in a day trip, the latter of which has a corner full of British railway engineers...

Apparently, both nations had bought ships from Armstrong's yards on Tyneside, so they may well have thought that these ships had come from there. I had heard that delegations from both countries were at Elswick yard at the same time, but it was so big, they could be kept apart.

• RMweb Premium

Apparently, both nations had bought ships from Armstrong's yards on Tyneside, so they may well have thought that these ships had come from there. I had heard that delegations from both countries were at Elswick yard at the same time, but it was so big, they could be kept apart.

At that time both Armstrong's and Vickers were busy selling battleships to all and sundry.  In the case of the ones they built for South America, each succeeding one, to a different country, had an extra 2 guns so that theirs was bigger than their neighbours.  The last one had 14 big guns, all of which could be fired on either broadside.  Unfortunately the ship wasn't completed when WW1 broke out and it was taken into RN service along with one that was complete on the Tyne.  The Turkish crew of that one were marched off at bayonet point, or so the story goes. IIRC we acquired an extra 3 battleships that way.  

Jamie

• Like 1

Did you faux tilt-and-shift those photos in post #4156 dt?

Looks like a horribly small depth of field, centred right in the middle of each photo.

That, or I need to go (back) to Specsavers,

Hi Scott, yes, see what you mean, I rarely use the smaller 22-55mm lens. looks like,it is not auto focusing,when hitting the button.

This was with the second hand Cannon 

Will have to put up with the shots from this sd card.

30300608230_0a293575ea_k.jpgDSC_0378 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30563933106_e0fc7d0e18_k.jpgDSC_0380 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30483624502_5b884f6799_k.jpgDSC_0381 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

29968496484_92a36b18dc_k.jpgDSC_0382 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30512241381_981014162e_k.jpgDSC_0383 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30512224741_a706d4c3c1_k.jpgDSC_0384 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30483557412_f69fd641db_k.jpgDSC_0385 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30600496575_bb9b007fdc_k.jpgDSC_0386 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

29966663443_4e62e63cc4_k.jpgDSC_0387 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30563808956_327689bac0_k.jpgDSC_0389 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

• Like 10

From the Panasonic DCM-G3,

don't think these are much better.

30612771705_bfcaf59272_k.jpgP1570489 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30495630012_167c06978e_k.jpgP1570494 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30495638492_2d27d1335b_k.jpgP1570493 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30524430351_2b5f5568e7_k.jpgP1570491 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30312814120_5bda92ea22_k.jpgP1570490 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30612790205_2b1213ed0c_k.jpgP1570485 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

30576364506_a7d5efcb13_k.jpgP1570484 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

29981094444_c68169ba2b_k.jpgP1570477 by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

• Like 11

What's the story with the little lagoon?

They've had these ever since they've been installing the rock-armour in earnest; it looks as though they dig them so that the first layer of the boulders is below beach level, rather than just plonked on the surface, where the next tide would remove the shingle from beneath them, and render the rock heap unstable.

I do like the patterns in the shingle; it almost looks as though it could be an Andy Goldsworthy installation.

• Like 2

In that case you would be wrong J, They just got out of the clean cab to drive back out through the tunnel

I noticed they had gone back that way, but  ...  are you sure they knew where they were going??  .......   :sungum:   ..........   :O :o

J