Bachmann class 66 marker lights

Shoey

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, I'm new around here and still finding my way around this lovely forum.

Just thought I'd share a couple of pictures of my Freightliner/shanks that I have weathered and fitted 'marker' lights the the leading/detailed end - 9 times outta 10 number 2 end has a rake of engineering wagons attached so haven't bothered to fit markers to that end. Also has a Zimo sound chip fitted too

post-27853-0-79100300-1451502325_thumb.jpeg

post-27853-0-71370600-1451502348_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Shoey, and welcome to RMWeb.  

Seems like as good a place as any to post this to me!  How did you fit the extra lights, just small LEDs attached to the normal lighting circuit or are they on a separate decoder function so you can stable it with just the marker lights on?  I have a few Bachmann 66s, and its one of those things that has always irritated me about them, though as yet I haven't done anything about it!

Hi Shoey, and welcome to RMWeb.  

Seems like as good a place as any to post this to me!  How did you fit the extra lights, just small LEDs attached to the normal lighting circuit or are they on a separate decoder function so you can stable it with just the marker lights on?  I have a few Bachmann 66s, and its one of those things that has always irritated me about them, though as yet I haven't done anything about it!

Hi JDW! Thank you for you very much.

I've done nothing fancy, I've just added micro LED's sourced from express models and wired it direct to the normal lighting circuit so they illuminate with the main daytime headlight with top marker light. It's one thing that really irritates me too not having prototypical lighting... I'm sure to a professional the PCB's on these models are relatively basic but unfortunately I'm far from electronically minded so just have to do what I can for the time being. I'd like to eventually have night running light LED fitted so I can operate night engineering trains! I'll have to have a hunt around on here to see if I can find anyone that's able to do this kinda thing.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

If I'd known you were doing Schenker 66s I'd have snuck mine on to your workbench...

Can I recommend a tip by Jack374 (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81813-jacks-modern-image-workbench/page-10),who suggests applying masking tape to the insides of the light lens, to create a more yellow glow rather than the bluey-white LED colour, and dim down the light a bit - I can't remember off the top of my head how the 66 is layed out internally, but it works quite well on the Hornby 60s I've tried it with.  

If I'd known you were doing Schenker 66s I'd have snuck mine on to your workbench...

Can I recommend a tip by Jack374 (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81813-jacks-modern-image-workbench/page-10),who suggests applying masking tape to the insides of the light lens, to create a more yellow glow rather than the bluey-white LED colour, and dim down the light a bit - I can't remember off the top of my head how the 66 is layed out internally, but it works quite well on the Hornby 60s I've tried it with.

I can always fit the markers to your Schenker 66 if you wanted JDW?

And thank you for the tip. I do use yellow paint on the face of the LED's to tone them down abit, which works a treat too! (They are rather bright and bluey from Hornby/Bachmann.) I've used this method on my 60's which I'll post a picture of in the next couple of days. On these two DBS 66's I've used bluey LED's. The pictures don't half show them a lot brighter than what they look in the flesh in front of you. It's a shame as the intensity looks spot on. I've also used resistors on the two side and top markers so they are all of the same intensity with the day headlight ever so slightly brighter. Unfortunately I don't own a camera other than on my I-pad or phone so the pictures aren't that great thought I'd use the bluey type as that seems to be the way a lot of the prototypes are going (though not on the 66's yet) and it'd be just my luck I'd fit the yellow ones and they'd change them to the bluey LED's on the prototypes!

• RMweb Premium

Haha thats a kind offer Shoey, but one I think you'd quickly regret, especially after the second, third, fourth, fifth,... Or maybe I would, when I saw your itemised bill - Light Fitting, Blood, Sweat, Tears,...  Its one of those jobs, I just need to get hold of the bits, and have a mammoth soldering session one day.

Had another go at this one. This time I've fitted the warm white LED's rather than bright white. Looks loads better. I'll upload pictures/process later on in the week. The pictures I've taken are too big to upload so need to resize them all before I can post them on here. I hope they will help you 'The black hat' and if you wanted to have a go too JDW. It's fairly straight forward to do once you've done a few.

post-27853-0-08785200-1451947605_thumb.jpeg

Haha thats a kind offer Shoey, but one I think you'd quickly regret, especially after the second, third, fourth, fifth,... Or maybe I would, when I saw your itemised bill - Light Fitting, Blood, Sweat, Tears,...  Its one of those jobs, I just need to get hold of the bits, and have a mammoth soldering session one day.

Haha! You should definitely get hold of all the bits JDW and get your soldering iron out, it makes such a huge difference!

Archived