converting the latest model Bachmann Class 40/DMUs to EM

I understand the recent models from Bachmann of Class 40 and the LMS 10000s have split axles. Wishing to convert mine to EM and with no suitable drop-in alternative I'm curious to see if it would be possible to pull the wheels out to the correct back to back as I do with Heljan models.

I have DLW/101/105 DMUs to convert also. Will the 'pull-out' technique work with those?

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

If you have a picture of the wheelset I could perhaps help better but if the stub axles/wheels are one piece it probably won't work. If the wheel moves on the axles it should be straight forward. Trying to move each wheel equally will be the difficult bit. I am sure lots of EM modellers have done this trick in the past.

If you have a picture of the wheelset I could perhaps help better but if the stub axles/wheels are one piece it probably won't work. If the wheel moves on the axles it should be straight forward. Trying to move each wheel equally will be the difficult bit. I am sure lots of EM modellers have done this trick in the past.

That's what I'm banking on Mick. I'll take a look in the morning. I'm a bit comfy on the settee with tea to hand now! :-)

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

For the DMUs you may have the option of replacement wheels from Branchlines, think they are based on Black Beetle wheels. I used these to convert a 101 to P4. They popped straight in, so at least you know there is room for wider wheelsets!

If I can find the original Bachmann wheels I removed, I'll confirm whether they are one piece or whether the wheel will move on the stub axle.

Archived