Long term painted FUD issue

Basically, some of my older FUD items have gone all sparkly, like they were painted in glittery nail varnish! I can't remember what the exact finishing process was with these, I think they were all cleaned and then painted with Vallejo surface primer. Things that were first painted in high build primer are showing no ill effects yet, but they are not as old so may yet show signs.

Has anyone else suffered similar?

Sounds like the surface wasn't totally cleaned before painting. If the waxy residue is still left, it can react with the paint. I always use a plastic primer coat first which gives a good surface for acrylic paint to grab on to. My oldest FUD prints are over 3 years old now and the paint is as good as new.

David

I'va also suffered this issue on FUD models.  We were discussing the same problem at a recent Midland Area Group meeting of the 2mm Assoc - another member has also got a sparkly wagon.  Clearly that's OK over the Christmas period but as we move into the new year something will have to be done to address the problem! :-)

I suspect that the problem is because the models were not cleaned thoroughly enough prior to painting, I think the waxy residue leeches out over time.  I know that one of my early models that has this issue certainly wasn't, having only been washed in soapy water.  I have just checked a box of my FUD wagons that were done more recently (within the last 2 years) and all look as good as new - these will all have been cleaned much more thoroughly with IPA (and and electric toothbrush (an old one not the wife's)).  They will also have been painted with Humbrol enamels, and received a coat of matt varnish after lettering.  I know others don't recommend enamels, advocating acrylics.

Ian

I haven't experienced anything similar.  My oldest FUD will be three years in June, but my cleaning has always been a wash with warm water and gently scrub away any buildup of support material in corners, then prime with Tamiya Fine Surface primer and paint.

I don't think the enamel vs. acryllic should have any difference after priming.  I know for certain that using any enamels (primarily Testors) that are available in North America, they won't set on unprimed FUD in my experience, and just stay a gooey layer for days, no matter how thin your coating is.

I'll have to keep watch though on some of the bigger FUD pieces i have now though compared to the much smaller ones i was ordering in 2013 to see if they exhibit any signs of sparkle, as some of them do have a sparkly appearance before they were cleaned, primed and painted.

Stephen

And I thought I'd made hard work for myself by aggressively de-greasing an FUD print then having even more surface texture to eliminate prior to painting, as compared to just washing down with soapy water (as per the seller's advice) and leaving the surface wax un-eroded. I'm now glad I followed instinct and de-greased as much as possible.

Another thought though - could the sparkles actually be caused by the tips of buried plastic mini-mountains breaking through the surface as wax and/or paint infill sinks with age? That would account for filler primer hiding the problem more effectively - so far.

Basically, some of my older FUD items have gone all sparkly, like they were painted in glittery nail varnish! I can't remember what the exact finishing process was with these, I think they were all cleaned and then painted with Vallejo surface primer. Things that were first painted in high build primer are showing no ill effects yet, but they are not as old so may yet show signs.

Has anyone else suffered similar?

I too have suffered the same problem with a couple of models. I used to clean with IPA but for my latest wagon (from Coastline) I soaked and cleaned with white spirit (scrubbing with a small hogshair paint brush). Now I am wondering should I perhaps have used more "fresh" white spirit to "rinse" with. The model was then primed with "Halfords" plastic primer before painting (by brush), I have waited a while before applying the transfers and varnishing hence my concern with the appearance of the "sparkle". Interestingly the "sparkle" is all on the panels beneath the outside framing of the van so perhaps more thorough cleaning would be the answer.

John.

Archived